best 3 pin portable car charger

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
kodedjay

Post by kodedjay »

I am off to Wales and the nearest 50kW charger is 30 miles from where I am staying so need to purchase a charger just to be safe. Is there a particular charger out there that anyone can recommend?

I've found one on Amazon which looks about the best of the latest crop to be released, where the current cant be switched between 2/6/8/10 and 13A -

This looks good to me, but it would be good to hear what the Enyaq drivers are using and would recommend.

I'm not even sure which AMP I would need to set it at, does anyone know? I have a Enyaq 60 IV EcoSuite

Thanks

RichR

Post by RichR »

The one Screwfix sell for £150 is very popular. I've got a 10m one (£160) and also a 10m 13A waterproof extension for those 'just in case' situations when visiting relatives or on holiday.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

You won't be able to pull 13A from most domestic sockets for long before the plug starts to get hot. Most granny chargers are limited to 10A for this reason. The lower currents are for when you're charging from something like a caravan supply and need to limit how much it draws so you still have enough from your hook up to run the other stuff in the caravan.

Be aware that to charge an Enyaq from almost empty to full will take more than 30 hours from a domestic socket, so you'd only really use it to put in enough charge to get to the nearest public rapid charger.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
kodedjay

Post by kodedjay »

thanks for this. I will be staying in a cabin and its really quiet so safe for me to plug in an leave charging for 24 - 30 hours, that wouldn't be a problem, as long as that is safe for me to do so without any plugs overheating? is this product 10A or 13A, it says both on the listing? I wouldn't want to leave it plugged in if it's not safe, if I was away from the cabin for a number of hours whilst the car is charging for instance.
RichR

Post by RichR »

It's 10A maximum. 2.3kW (230V x 10A = 2300W)

I'm sure you'll be able to get a decent rapid charge at that one 30 miles away, and that'll last a while. Don't forget to look out for 7kW and 11kW AC chargers at pubs and public carparks. Whilst not as fast as the rapid DC chargers, you'll still be able to get a decent amount of charge in an hour or two. The trick is to charge where you can, to get a little bit each time. You don't have to charge to 100% every time. :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

I have the Screwfix granny charger RichR refers to above. Had it for some time but never used due to having a Sync EV 7kw wall box at home. Thought had better try it out earlier this week, put in 10kw in 5hrs 35minutes without any issues. Appears to be a well made charger, had no problems with overheating although do live in a modern house with modern 100amp main fuse.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

https://eauto.si/metron-shop/product/pc03-16a-1-phase/

Do not have it, but like that all the stuff is integrated. Bit too expensive for not using it...
KrisN

Post by KrisN »

I have this

https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/products/ ... v-10-metre

And have used it quite a bit as my car arrived 3 months early! And I had to wait for my 7kw to be installed

Its a bit more expensive than the screwfix one (which was out of stock when I bought) Charges consistently on 13A setting with no overheating issues
RichR

Post by RichR »

Whether the plug gets hot is entirely down to the socket it’s plugged into, not the charger or the house supply.

Brand new, good quality sockets (eg MK) have a very low connection resistance. As they get older the surfaces oxidise and also get grease, dirt and stuff on them which increases the resistance. Cheap sockets might not have a great connection to start with. Also repeated use can bend the contacts leading to a smaller contact area. All this adds up to heat, eventually enough to melt the plug or wiring.
orrery

Post by orrery »

RichR wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 pm Whether the plug gets hot is entirely down to the socket it’s plugged into, not the charger or the house supply.

It isn't 'entirely'. It is contributed to by the heat generated by the fuse in the plug, which starts to get quite hot at 10 amps. The fuse contacts are another point of failure. It is usually, but not always, the L lead that fails.

If you have an extension lead, then you also have the quality of the cable - don't ever buy a 10 amp extension, and never used it coiled up. I'd recommend https://toughleads.co.uk/ as they have some experience, particularly in accommodating the larger 13 amp plugs on some EVSEs in the waterproof socket.

Always plug and unplug any extension and EVSE frequently to keep the contact surfaces clean, and check the temperature with your hand during the first few minutes. If the 13 amp pins become tarnished, the clean them with fine emery paper, or (if all else fails) score them with the end of a screwdriver. Make sure any screw contacts in plugs and sockets are kept properly tightened. If you are careful then charging with an EVSE and extension lead can be perfectly safe and successful.

I have the 3rd Rock lead too - very good.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
RichR

Post by RichR »

OK true, but the point I was making is that it's independent of the make and model of the charger (I do mean EVSE too, but not everyone understands the term). :)

Good point on the extension lead. Ideally don't use one if you can move the car nearer to the socket, but if you must then make sure it is rated for the full 13A and don't coil it up when in use.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post