Delayed Charging Timer

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Nick123

Post by Nick123 »

Thanks Perchède, glad to hear you have an IT background - do you think anyone in VW/Skoda reads these threads? I still don't have any clear answers to the 4 questions I posed above, and I know from this and other forums that finding the charge schedule is not obvious since it is under 'location' in the menu. But I think the MySkoda app when it gets sorted will solve this problem - it will much easier for a lot of people to arrange things from the phone rather than from the car.
I see the wording & function of 'charge cable locked/unlocked' has been removed from the app, and the car calls it 'cable autorelease'. Is this what must be set to ON to get the charging to work? ... I'll catch up on the thread when you've posted tomorrow.

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

Not sure which 4 you mean so I will try to answer them all.
1. what the 'immediate charge up to 50%' slider bar is supposed to be used for.#
Instant charging up to a certain value i.e. outside of scheduled times.
2. why there is a separate '% charge up-to' when this has already been configured in the main charging menu.
it will override the charging menu default.
3. why there is a 'stop charging' time as well as a start time... shouldn't it just keep going until it's got to the % battery charge of your choice?
Not for me, with two separate off-peaks I am happy to wait for the next.
4. how you configure it when you don't have any particular charging location programmed in.
You can't delayed charging requires it.
Our Zoe is so much easier: two questions when you plug it in (if you've set scheduled charging as an option):
1. Do you want charge the car now ? Yes/No.
2. If No, then it asks what start time you want (just click on a preselection if you've already programmed some start times in).

I doubt Skoda reads these threads . No the Skoda lock setting makes no difference, I have a lock (and keys) for the wall charger. It will not start charging while locked but you can lock it after start and charging will continue . Anyway the rapid green flashing indicator is good, it was white before.

The charging station the Schneider EV I got from Amazon.fr (sold by Schneider) for 599 euro, plus 80 euro for 6mm three core cable, plus around 100 euro for interrupters and RCB type F which France seems to specify but Europe is content with type A. Installers seem to use the cheaper type A.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Nick123

Post by Nick123 »

Thanks Perchède
On 1, if I want to charge outside of the scheduled times, then why can I only do it up to 50%? And if I want to charge outside of any schedule I just have to uncheck all the schedule boxes et voilà.
On 2 - OK - understood: you may want to charge to different levels depending on the time of day and where you are... I don't, but I imagine some people will. Couldn't they have made it superficially easier by sticking this complexity into a sub-menu ('Advanced' or something similar)?
On 3 - oh - hadn't thought of that! Again, something for the 'Advanced' users' section.
On 4 :(
On the 'lock', I'm talking about the charge cable lock, not the car door locking... but Skoda seem to have abandoned this phrasing (probably because it was confusing). I note in the car it says 'cable autorelease (with an on/off toggle)' - I think you are saying it has to be 'on' in order to get the scheduled charging to work? Interesting you say that some wallboxes have physical locks... I don't on my Hager, but it's behind closed gates.
I bow to your IT expertise, but I would have thought this schedule setting could have been made easier by having a simpler main menu and putting a lot of the extra stuff in an 'advanced' sub-menu... but I know nothing (I am a brewer).
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

1. Of course it only applies to the current location

The lock I was referring to is not the car cable lock (I leave this on) but the charging station lock. Mine is a key lock which is good as I leave the cable wrapped around the charging station with the loclk on so it cannot be removed.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I woke up at 04:30 and it was not charging. I tripped the circuit breaker and reconnected it and it started charging.
MySkoda shows charging on smart schedules at 6.5 kW. Charging stopped at 07:00 I think (It was 07:02 when I noticed) It was set to end at 08:00.
reset the circuit breaker again and it resumed charging.

No idea what the problem is, the start time was actually set to 03:05 as several suppliers have quoted that my French Linky meter starts and ends with a +4 mins after the allotted time(s). I guess this is to spread surges. Will change the next slot to be on the half hour boundary.

Hopefully someone else can try and post.
Nick123

Post by Nick123 »

My Enyaq's charged at the moment but I have a trip out tomorrow - will try an overnight charge from my Hager wallbox Tuesday night and report on Wednesday morning. I'm on EDF contract with off-peak switching on at 23h30 and off at 07h30. Do you want me to straddle the charging across either the start or stop time to see if that triggers a problem?
Last time I tried it dribbled in a bit of juice overnight but only intermittently and never at more than 2.5kW... you said it was perhaps due to the cable being locked, but this option is no longer on the MySkoda app: I've got the car set to 'auto-release charge cable' at the end of the charging: is this correct?
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I left the car charging lock on as it is designed to prevent cable theft. I don't think it will make any difference which way you set it.
A few points to check:
when you plug in your charger cable to the car the LED pulses rapid green, indicating it is waiting on a schedule. With mine this went out later I am guessing that this is entering deep sheep mode. When I unlocked the car (need to do this twice to release cable lock) the rapid green led came back on. (car exited deep sleep?).
For your Wednesday test just set it up with your off-peak times.

My current thought is this problem is to do with the car and not the charging station. I will try a test that I plug in the cable 5 mins before my 13:30-16:30 slot so it is not in deep sleep when the period is due to start.
Nick123

Post by Nick123 »

In the failed attempt I tried last Friday, I can confirm that I had the flashing green LED indicating it was waiting, but I was asleep by the time the charging had started. In the morning, the slow- green LED was working indicating it was charging, and the green plug icon was on in the car driver's screen - but no predicted finish time shown and the charge rate was only 2kW. I'll pay more attention on the next test.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

It would appear from what I have seen, that no predicted finish time is display if on a smart schedule.
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

P.M. scheduled start failed. Tried Kessy unlock car on fob - Car started indicating waiting for schedule. Noi start - Entered car unticked scheduled times - charging started. Remaining charge time indicated at 1:55 Hours.

Does not seem to be a charging station problem.
MySkoda seems to be unable to connect - thinking login is failing.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post