Creaking Brakes

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
rgbgr

Post by rgbgr »

Has anybody had issues with creaking sounds from their brakes when at low speed? I don't know if it's because of the rear drum brakes, or regen meaning that it takes a long time to bed them in? In particular when I stop on a hill there's a slight creak just after Auto Hold kicks in. Also, I'm able to very gently move off from a stop without Auto Hold releasing.

gap998

Post by gap998 »

I think this is due to the lack of engine noise of similar frequency no longer masking an always present noise - I have noticed this on all my EVs and on my Outlander when in EV mode but I don't notice it when the ICE is running. Matt Watson also pointed it out in his CARWOW review of the Enyaq.
Enyaq iV60 Loft 100kW Charging, Arc. Silver, Regulus 19", Heat Pump, Ass'd Drive Pack, Parking+, Drive Sport, Conv.+, Transport Pack

Order 2-11-21 - Built 22-08-22 - Collected 28-09-22 - Drive Fault 4-10-22 - Back to Dealer 18-10-22 - Fixed 17-11-22
RallimG

Post by RallimG »

Yes the creak is also present on the Audi Q4 eTron (another Matt Watson review) - so basically its inherent on the MEB platform.
Enyaq iV Sportline, Energy Blue, 125kW Charging, Family Pack, Climate+, Conv. +, Drive+, Infotainment+ & Assisted Drive +.
Ordered Jun 2021 - delivered Jan 2023.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Yes I try not to come to a complete stop gently . Slow down crawl then stop a bit harder if need to . Surely there must be a way round it
RobH

Post by RobH »

I have the same issue and it’s driving me crazy in stop start traffic. Definitely not due to lack of engine noise as suggested as I’ve got an e golf which is great car with no ridiculous creaking every time you stop and start.
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

It's almost certainly the drum brakes causing creeking. Drums have different operating characteristics to discs. They are superior to discs as parking brakes and they wear more slowly but can have a tendency to lock on. With a disc brake, as soon as you release hydraulic pressure, all braking effect is gone. With a drum, depending on specific geometry, you need to remove pad pressure and provide a tiny amount of movement to get the pad completely clear. Therefore when light pressure and slow movements are present, there's a bit of stick slip (creeking) going on. It's this characteristic that makes them good for parking brakes. However I don't think wearing in will make any difference. You've got to live with it. You've probably noticed, when you pull away after parking up, you can hear the drums release, a bit like cracking a seal.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
orrery

Post by orrery »

I understand that the hill hold force is equivalent to the braking force you used to stop. Try pushing the footbrake harder to prime the hill hold. My wife moaned continuously that the hill hold didn't work, whereas it did for me - force of braking seemed to be the answer.

Second thoughts, maybe the noise was just my wife moaning?
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Mine creak too but it’s never bothered me. When I reverse out of my driveway, I’m not using the accelerator at all. I control the speed with the brake pedal, so that causes a fair bit of creaking.

I’m not bothered by it, but one of my ‘EV skeptic’ neighbours has made a couple of sarcastic comments!
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post