Lane assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

Really worried to find that when I turn this off it comes back on at startup.

I have tried to live with this feature. But it steers for me when I am not in contact with the white line and I find it really annoying. It's also tried to "correct" me leaving at junctions and passing cyclists by doing things like trying to nudge the vehicle I to said cyclist.

Should it be that you are forced to have this on? Setting it to off before every journey is not a workable option.....

I really hope there is or will be a way around this.....
iv60 in Race Blue, Loft interior with 20" Vega wheels - Ordered Sep21, Delivered 25/07/22
Packs - Comfort seat plus, Family, Climate plus, Drive Sport, Assisted drive, Parking, Convenience, Heat Pump.

fivetide

Post by fivetide »

It is annoying, but shouldn’t steer for you if you are indicating at junctions or while going past cyclists.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

I sympathise and always switch this off when on rural roads. The last thing we need is something fighting us when trying to avoid a pot hole, animal suddenly appearing or when navigating very narrow roads.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or standard way to switch this off so that it stays off with the software (in my 2021 Enyaq).

I was reliably informed by the sales person at our dealership that this will be compulsory in the future and there will not be an option to switch it off at all. I hope she was wrong.
IV80 Suite, Race blue, 20” Vega alloys, heat pump, electric tow bar, panoramic sunroof, 125kW, climate/transport packs, ordered July 21, delivered November 21. 1st EV and still loving it.
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

fivetide wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 am It is annoying, but shouldn’t steer for you if you are indicating at junctions or while going past cyclists.
When passing the cyclist I wasn't signalling as it was a straight road with no other cars to be seen.
iv60 in Race Blue, Loft interior with 20" Vega wheels - Ordered Sep21, Delivered 25/07/22
Packs - Comfort seat plus, Family, Climate plus, Drive Sport, Assisted drive, Parking, Convenience, Heat Pump.
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

AndyH wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am I sympathise and always switch this off when on rural roads. The last thing we need is something fighting us when trying to avoid a pot hole, animal suddenly appearing or when navigating very narrow roads.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or standard way to switch this off so that it stays off with the software (in my 2021 Enyaq).

I was reliably informed by the sales person at our dealership that this will be compulsory in the future and there will not be an option to switch it off at all. I hope she was wrong.
This is really disappointing....my Leaf used to apply the brakes for cars that had already left the road and I was so happy to say goodbye to that but for me, this unwanted steering of the car is much worse. It feels like they haven't implemented it properly....the Enyaq is a wide car and many UK roads are narrow and with badly painted lines and it seems to react when you are getting close the line and haven't even gone over it.....this results in a lot of unnecessary and unwanted corrections.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

It is annoying, but shouldn’t steer for you if you are indicating at junctions or while goi
When passing the cyclist I wasn't signalling as it was a straight road with no other cars to be seen.
I do sympathise and I believe new learner drivers are being taught not to indicate passing cyclists as it can confuse on-coming traffic, particularly if road junctions are around, which means we’ll have new drivers eventually driving cars that will try to prevent them to drive the way they have been taught.

At least we do have the option to turn it off. I guess we need to change our mindsets to those of a pilot and allow time for all the pre-departure checks, including the 3 taps on the Assist icon.
IV80 Suite, Race blue, 20” Vega alloys, heat pump, electric tow bar, panoramic sunroof, 125kW, climate/transport packs, ordered July 21, delivered November 21. 1st EV and still loving it.
tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

TheCorm wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:11 pm Really worried to find that when I turn this off it comes back on at startup.

I have tried to live with this feature. But it steers for me when I am not in contact with the white line and I find it really annoying. It's also tried to "correct" me leaving at junctions and passing cyclists by doing things like trying to nudge the vehicle I to said cyclist.

Should it be that you are forced to have this on? Setting it to off before every journey is not a workable option.....

I really hope there is or will be a way around this.....
I agree, I like it on for motorway/dual carriage way driving but found it too intrusive when on country roads trying to avoid the many obstacles, parked cars and cyclists.

I have turned it off using an OBD Eleven, there is a setting for using the last setting you selected. It was my main annoyance with this car and has been much nicer with it set like this.
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021
Lorttrol

Post by Lorttrol »

I had this on my previous VAG group car, I never turned it off as I found it makes driving a bit easier. The system will keep you centered in the lane, not just bounce you from line to line unlike some systems. You can always override the steering inputs the car is making. It will take a little extra effort on the wheel because the car doesnt know what you intentions are i.e. overtaking a cyclist or avoiding a pot hole and is trying to keep you safe. You cannot rely on it to be perfect as with any of these things they are assistance tools rather than full autonomy tools. For example if you were making a sudden turn to avoid an animal in the road the car will not stop you doing this, it may beep at you for wondering over the line but thats it. If the stability control kicks in its a different story, the results of which can be seen here If you're gently moving over the lane markings then you will have to hold the steering wheel where you want it to be, its a little bit of a fight against the cars steering inputs but it will never force you to go in a set direction. I think the only thing these systems will force is the autonomous emergency breaking but I have found on my Tarraco that if I remove my foot from the throttle and put it down again it will carry on like nothing has happened.
Ordered 8th Jan 22 - 80, Energy Blue, Loft, Light and View +, Convenience +, Drive Pack +, Comfort seat basic, Climate Package basic, Drive Sport Basic and HUD. Delivery 41 weeks to the day!
Previous: Tarraco, 1st Edition Plus 2.0 TDI 7 speed DSG 4WD
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Lorttrol wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:10 am
I guess this is subjective. Both Mrs H and I drive very much by feel and anything that interferes between the steering wheel and the feel of the road reduces confidence in the control of the vehicle. I have no problem with this on a multi-carriage way road, as there is very little input to the steering wheel. However, on single carriageway, often B roads and smaller, this is of much more importance to us.

We are old school, but do embrace technology. This one appears flawed to us, but obviously not to others.
TheCorm

Post by TheCorm »

I would mind less if it only did it when I went over the line but it's doing it when I get nearer the line but am still within.

There's roads I drive on where the lines aren't clear and/or the roads are so narrow that where there are lines modern wide cars like the Enyaq don't sit cleanly in between the lines unless you're really slow and careful.

I'd rather not have it, I don't feel my drive would be significantly less safe without it and it's for me personally, very irritating on what is otherwise a lovely driving experience.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post