How to best use the public charge network infrequently?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

I'm a few weeks away (potentially) from getting mine, and this question has been at the back of my mind for months.

I'm expecting to be able to home charge for all but holidays and very infrequent longer trips, perhaps 2 times a year. I don't use my car for commuting. I don't want to join up to lots of different charge suppliers and pay a subscription for something I may never use over the course of a year, just to have options. I'm prepared to be fleeced for one off charges when not at home, even if I have to do it 4-5 times over the course of a holiday.

My big concern is, when I use one of the public chargers for the first time, am I going to spend 15mins + admin time setting up accounts, or can I just pull, get fleeced for not being a member or whatever, and leave after charging.

What do people here recommend for VERY infrequent users to minimise hassle at public chargers. Or is this just going to hurt and I need to prepare myself?
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That's a really good question, I'm in a similar position so would also be interested in people's views
Ordered 26 March 22, Sportline 80, Graphite grey, Assisted Drive+, Infotainment Package+, Drive Sport+, Heat Pump. Zappi charger, delivered 17 Aug 22,
Stripy

Post by Stripy »

With the Skoda, you get first year free on the Power Pass to reduced rates, ie Ionity for 25p/kWh and anything else they cover for 35p/kWh. When the year ends you have a choice of paying £9.99/month and you get one bill - but there is also cheaper subscriptions with them.
Point is, you only get one bill charged to your card, once a month.

I have added the Electric Juice card from Octopus, and signed up to Pod Point in order to use the rapids at Tesco’s.

You can get in situations where a specific network that is normally covered by your subscription, isn’t covered, but it’s rare.

App wise, I use the PowerPass, electric juice and pod point. If getting desperate for some power, I may have a look on zap map, but again, that’s rare. 90% I use on Powepass, 9% on Podpoint to start chargers

But obviously it also depends where you go - YMMW
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That's really helpful thank you
Ordered 26 March 22, Sportline 80, Graphite grey, Assisted Drive+, Infotainment Package+, Drive Sport+, Heat Pump. Zappi charger, delivered 17 Aug 22,
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Stripy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:33 am With the Skoda, you get first year free on the Power Pass to reduced rates, ie Ionity for 25p/kWh and anything else they cover for 35p/kWh. When the year ends you have a choice of paying £9.99/month and you get one bill - but there is also cheaper subscriptions with them.
Point is, you only get one bill charged to your card, once a month.

I have added the Electric Juice card from Octopus, and signed up to Pod Point in order to use the rapids at Tesco’s.

You can get in situations where a specific network that is normally covered by your subscription, isn’t covered, but it’s rare.

App wise, I use the PowerPass, electric juice and pod point. If getting desperate for some power, I may have a look on zap map, but again, that’s rare. 90% I use on Powepass, 9% on Podpoint to start chargers

But obviously it also depends where you go - YMMW
After my power pass runs out, can I still use all the same chargers but just pay a non members premium. Basically what is charging life like with no power pass and no memberships?
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi
Deasea

Post by Deasea »

ChangoMutney - I will have had my car a year at the beginning of September. My use is very similar to how you have described yours will be. I took out the Powerpass free one year offer at the beginning and during the course of the year have used it only once that I can remember. I will not be renewing at £9.99 a month. I have Octopus Juice and my credit card. I have not signed up to any other. I have never had a problem with contactless. I just pay and go, trying to keep it simple. I do research a little bit when going on a longer journey to see what's about but not with particular vigour, and have not had any problems to date. Take the years free offer with Powerpass if you have that option and just see how you go from there.

I appreciate everyone's usage is different, and this opinion might not be right for all, but don't get too hung up on it - I know I did and it was wasted anxiety.
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Stripy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:33 am With the Skoda, you get first year free on the Power Pass to reduced rates, ie Ionity for 25p/kWh and anything else they cover for 35p/kWh. When the year ends you have a choice of paying £9.99/month and you get one bill - but there is also cheaper subscriptions with them.
I thought this was only true while upgrading to a faster charging speed was a cost option? Once they made it standard (and bumped the base price accordingly) I thought they stopped doing it? Or the deal ended for other reasons. Either way, I think people who have had their cars more recently haven't had this option.
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
anotherjohn

Post by anotherjohn »

In order to use the Tesco free chargers you seed the Pod Point app (need it to "confirm chegre" within a few minutes), but don't need to put any money on it.
Race blue 60, 100KW, partition net screen, climate basic, convenience, transport, drive basic, assisted drive, parking basic. Collected 23May22
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

snalbansed wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:15 am
I thought this was only true while upgrading to a faster charging speed was a cost option? Once they made it standard (and bumped the base price accordingly) I thought they stopped doing it? Or the deal ended for other reasons. Either way, I think people who have had their cars more recently haven't had this option.
In my experience you know have to pay for Powerpass and once signed up you’re stuck with paying £9.99 @ month for what I can see is little benefit.
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
NickyP

Post by NickyP »

For our trips we've used chargers at McDonald's close to the motorway or service stations, all using contactless payment with no apps or accounts required.
MY22 Enyaq 60 nav suite, Race blue, 21" Betria wheels, 100kW charging, Comfort seat pack basic, Climate pack basic, Chrome pack, Driving sport package basic, Assisted drive pack basic, Parking pack basic, Panoramic roof.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post