Leaving Car in Drive Mode - good or bad?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

I’m old fashioned but was always taught to put my ICE car in neutral to save clutch wear if stationary for any time. My recent automatic cars have had auto engine stop if stationary so I guess little or no wear on the clutch. In 50 years of driving never had to replace a clutch so believe my taught approach of engaging neutral has paid off?

Since getting my Enyaq have simply used the foot brake to hold car at traffic lights, in heavy traffic etc. ( rarely use the autohold function) to prevent any “creep”. Realise an EV does not have a clutch but if stopped in drive mode should neutral be engaged or is it OK to hold it on the brakes or autohold until moving off? I’m keen to adopt whatever method reduces potential wear or does it not make any difference and I ought to forget my ICE driving protocols?
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

As far as I can tell, the motor isn’t straining to overcome the brakes (when in D or B but with the brakes applied). It’s certainly not spinning against any clutch mechanism, like an Automatic ICE engine would be with your foot on the brake.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

When I was being taught advanced driving for volunteering on ambulances years ago, I was told that keeping the foot brake on whilst stationary was contrary to the highway code because the brighter red light might dazzle the person behind.

I can't remember ever checking the source though, so it might not be the case. But if it is, that would be a reason to allow the auto hold to engage and release the foot brake.
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Ordered 20th December 2021, mine 21st March 2023
Charger: Zappi
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ I think Auto-Hold also keeps the brake lights on.

The only way to not dazzle the person behind (with bright brake lights whilst stationary) is to engage the electronic handbrake…which in turn, engages Neutral.

You have to remember to press the foot brake again, so you can engage Drive, when setting off

By the way, the faint ‘engine’ whirring noise which you can just about hear when you pull up and keep the foot brake on, is a synthesized tone - I suppose so cyclists and pedestrians can hear something (I’m not talking about the A/C noise). I’ve actually only noticed this fairly recently when an iD4 stopped at lights in a very quiet street I was walking along. I checked my Enyaq and with my windows down, I can just about hear that the fake engine tone is still active, even if I pull up to stop but leave it in Drive.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Goaty wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:57 am /\ I think Auto-Hold also keeps the brake lights on.
Really? I'm going to have to investigate... though my only reference point for now will be my mum's Zoe :(
Sportline, Artic Silver, parking+, infotainment+, convenience+, family basic, assisted drive+, climate+, towbar
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\. I’ve noticed no difference (in the bright red faces of the people in the cars behind me) whether I have my foot on the brake, or Auto Hold engaged. As soon as I engage the electronic handbrake, then my brake lights turn off.

I was also taught the same as you - to not sit there with the brake lights blaring. But without fail, I’d say at least 90% of drivers do have their brake lights on whilst sat at traffic lights, including most of the police !!
snalbansed

Post by snalbansed »

Always used to be that you could tell which cars were automatic, because they'd be sitting in traffic with their foot on brake.

Only alternative for them would be to disengage drive, which would normally mean moving through reverse which would mean a brief white reversing light flash!
Pict

Post by Pict »

I too used to never sit with my foot on the brake until I bought my Land Rover Discovery Sport and the engine stop/start was activated (when it decided it felt like working) by the brake pedal. Come to stop with foot on brake, engine stops, release brake and engine restarts. I would guess many cars behave similarly
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
RichR

Post by RichR »

Quite a lot of what I was taught 30 years ago is now considered not best practice - for example, holding the steering wheel at 10-to-2 is not recommended on any car since about 1995 due to airbags. I have a feeling that as so many cars have electric handbrakes and auto hold functionality, and brake light lens design is more sophisticated that it's now fine to sit with your foot on the brake or allow auto hold to hold a car in traffic or at a junction. I certainly haven't been dazzled by brake lights on more modern cars in the same way as I used to be say 20 years ago.

If I'm going to be sat for a long time, eg at a level crossing, then I might pop it into Park, but generally there's no need on an EV to take it out of Drive.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
parkview094

Post by parkview094 »

snalbansed wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 pm When I was being taught advanced driving for volunteering on ambulances years ago, I was told that keeping the foot brake on whilst stationary was contrary to the highway code because the brighter red light might dazzle the person behind.

I can't remember ever checking the source though, so it might not be the case. But if it is, that would be a reason to allow the auto hold to engage and release the foot brake.
That's interesting - seems you're right. It's in the highway code here: https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dr ... 113-to-116 - Rule 114.

I always thought it was to do with being hit from behind whilst stationary.. there's less of a risk of your foot jumping off the brake and the car hitting the car in-front if the handbrake or park is engaged..
Enyaq iV80, ecoSuite, Metallic Brilliant Silver, Heat Pump, Climate Pack, Convenience Pack Plus, Transport Pack, Panoramic Roof.
Ohme Home Pro Charger (Tethered)
Ordered 13/10/21. Order accepted July 2022. Build Week 44 (31st October). Collected 17/12/22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post