Protecting charging cable from theft

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Is there a simply clever solution to protect the charging cable from theft?

Did Skoda do some innovation on this?

Or did you?

anotherjohn

Post by anotherjohn »

Isn't the car end locked in place when the car is locked?
Race blue 60, 100KW, partition net screen, climate basic, convenience, transport, drive basic, assisted drive, parking basic. Collected 23May22
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

It is. Is it enough, or is it just for "accidental" removal?
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Yeh just make sure charging app shows always unlock is off so no one can pull it out without unlocking car
orrery

Post by orrery »

I'm not sure that I want some goon forcing the type 2 and doing huge damage to the car even if they don't get the cable.

Buy a long shackle padlock, loop the cable around something solid (most chargers have a welded barrier which can be used, but the car wheel will do at a push) and lock the two parts of the cable together. They can still cut the cable, but they destroy the value in doing so and are likely to try someone elses first.

I've had the cable forced out on the Leaf, which did no damage at all to either the cable or the car, but that was a type 1. That was just after Jeremy Clarkson recommended pulling out charging cables on Top Gear.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Padlock is the best idea so far I found. And might be it works with the tow bar, need to check some day.

e89994e9d15c132d-large.jpg

Might be that the small hole there is for something like this? Simply clever? :D

Why I'm looking for is that at the Helsinki airport one can leave the car connected to the charger while traveling, car is charged when you come back. Only you have to leave the cable there connecting the car and charger for the whole time you are enjoying your holiday.
tiger tony

Post by tiger tony »

Vasarolli wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:30 pm Padlock is the best idea so far I found. And might be it works with the tow bar, need to check some day.
e89994e9d15c132d-large.jpg
Might be that the small hole there is for something like this? Simply clever? :D

Why I'm looking for is that at the Helsinki airport one can leave the car connected to the charger while traveling, car is charged when you come back. Only you have to leave the cable there connecting the car and charger for the whole time you are enjoying your holiday.
The small 'hole' in the retractable towbar is for you to attach the trailers breakaway cable to when you're towing.

Its a legal requirement of all trailers with a weight of 750 - 3500kg to have a breakaway cable fitted.
Enyaq iV60, Loft, Race blue, 20" Vega's, ME3.0 updated.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Never had a trailer that had such, probably had smaller ones, way below that weight limit :D

But might be also useful for locking the cable to it.
gap998

Post by gap998 »

Been driving an EV & a PHEV, which I also charge away from home, for 7 years never had a problem with cable theft. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think it'll be the problem some people think. At the end of the day if someone wants it and the vehicle & charger locks don't put them off, nothing will - They'll just cut them.
Enyaq iV60 Loft 100kW Charging, Arc. Silver, Regulus 19", Heat Pump, Ass'd Drive Pack, Parking+, Drive Sport, Conv.+, Transport Pack

Order 2-11-21 - Built 22-08-22 - Collected 28-09-22 - Drive Fault 4-10-22 - Back to Dealer 18-10-22 - Fixed 17-11-22
orrery

Post by orrery »

gap998 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:39 pm At the end of the day if someone wants it and the vehicle & charger locks don't put them off, nothing will - They'll just cut them.
True, but if you take care to fit a lock they will probably take someone else's.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post