Unsuitable Charger?

The place to discuss everything else..
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Family members are in the process of renovating a couple of holiday cottages. The first is readied for paying guests-wisely imo they decided that a car charge point would be sensible. I advised that a dumb charger would be appropriate given that it’s intended use is for a succession of different users (off peak rates are not the issue but ease of use very much is). They live a long way from me. Their installer has swung them onto a ‘Project EV’ charge point which, apparently, is controlled by an app! I can envisage this being a considerable pain in the rear… Thoughts?

Fossilnot

Dorsetandy

Post by Dorsetandy »

I don’t have any experience of the charger your family are having installed. I have a Sync EV which is controlled by an App but can easily be switched to “dumb mode”, might be worth checking if this type of facility is available on your charger.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3 upgrade.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

The PodPoint home charger can be left active all the time, so any guests with the correct connection can charge whenever they want to without having to install any apps.

The owner can still take control via an app though, and limit charging to certain times of the day if they wish by creating on / off schedules. Might also be able to disable charging altogether during off-season periods, to prevent ‘amp-bandits’ turning up for a free charge when no one’s around.

Also (again if the owner wishes) PodPoint can limit the charging rate to ~ 3.5kWh instead of 7kWh.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Actually I may have recalled the name of the charger wrongly! (Only heard it once…without hearing aids) there is a good chance it is a Sync EV in which case that is good news. Thanks for help.

Fossilnot
Robrad30

Post by Robrad30 »

I have a Project EV charger at home. I’m pretty sure it can be switched into “dumb” mode too. If you have the choice, I’d go with another brand though. I’ve reached out to Project EV multiple times asking for help to actually set up my charger (it came supplied with a new build house we bought last year - but the installer/builder didn’t leave any details which are needed to actually pair it with your own account). They never replied to any of my communications, so that’s a massive red flag for me. If something does go wrong with the charger, I’m not confident I’ll be able to get support.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Oooh, that’s not so good! Going to find out which it is at the weekend. Again thanks for responses…

Fossilnot
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

Sigh: it is a Project EV

Fossilnot
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

Robrad30 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:59 pm I have a Project EV charger at home. I’m pretty sure it can be switched into “dumb” mode too. If you have the choice, I’d go with another brand though. I’ve reached out to Project EV multiple times asking for help to actually set up my charger (it came supplied with a new build house we bought last year - but the installer/builder didn’t leave any details which are needed to actually pair it with your own account). They never replied to any of my communications, so that’s a massive red flag for me. If something does go wrong with the charger, I’m not confident I’ll be able to get support.
I don't know if you've seen this but Project EV have a fairly comprehensive online support site. There's a page dedicated to connecting your charger to your wi-fi and the app on your phone. There's another on how to schedule a charge via the app. https://support.projectev.co.uk/hc/en-g ... r-to-Wi-Fi
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
Fossilnot

Post by Fossilnot »

I don’t know if they have seen these pages but it is helpful information thank you-I have forwarded it verbatim.

Fossilnot
ComicGeek

Post by ComicGeek »

I have a Project EV charger at home and at the office, never had any issues with it. I use the home charger on a timed schedule overnight, and the office charger as a dumb 'just plug in'. Haven't had any issues with either.

I found following their videos much easier to set up than the written instructions.

You can set it up to use the app to unlock if you want security, or can just leave it to charge when connected.

The only thing that I haven't worked out is the Eco+ mode to only use excess PV generation, but that's a combination of the charger and the car.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post