Auto Hold - potential safety issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

I've discovered (to the detriment of a gate post, and a few scratches on the front bumper!) that if the driver's door is either open or not fully closed, and you engage D/B or R, then Auto Hold DOES NOT ENGAGE despite you having your foot on the brake - i.e., take your foot off the brake and the car WILL start moving. That is in my view a safety issue - as indicated above, in my case resulted in a trashed gatepost and minor damage, but could have been a lot worse. This seems to me to be a bug that needs fixing.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I think I’ve noticed something like that too - for example if I open the door to check how straight I am against white lines. Although I normally disengage Auto Hold when I’m parking, to avoid it suddenly slamming on the brakes unexpectedly, so I can’t remember exactly what the anomaly is, when I open the door. I’ll have to check.

Perhaps all auto-hold systems are designed to disengage, to prevent situations where the driver gets out the car with auto-hold activated; it’s not a substitute for the parking brake ( I guess ).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

It does state very clearly in the manual that auto hold will not activate if the driver’s door is open. Skoda have provided you with all the information about this limitation.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

The man-u-what ? ? ?

He speaks in a foreign tongue, using words not of these isles !
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Heh- well, if you choose not to read it then something surprises you, it’s your choice. Some people like to find things out by accident. Others prefer to take in all the information that’s provided. My job depends on me knowing things so I can fix issues quickly, not guessing and potentially making things worse, so it’s in my nature to read things rather than assume.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
orrery

Post by orrery »

RichR wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:00 pm It does state very clearly in the manual that auto hold will not activate if the driver’s door is open. Skoda have provided you with all the information about this limitation.
I'd agree that this is a safety issue, and you can't just dismiss such issues by pointing them out in the manual.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
orrery

Post by orrery »

orrery wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:25 pm
RichR wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:00 pm It does state very clearly in the manual that auto hold will not activate if the driver’s door is open. Skoda have provided you with all the information about this limitation.

I'd agree that this is a safety issue, and you can't just dismiss such issues by pointing them out in the manual.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

I think a loud tone/beeping would do a better job. Or just put the car to park automatically when the door is opened.
But I disabled the auto hold so don't mind this.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

My parking brake comes on if I open the door ? I have auto hold disabled . Also when someone walks behind car when reversing it jams on brakes and gives your foot a good kicking
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

orrery wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:25 pm
I agree. "Read the fine print" isn't a good response when the car does something that is (a) not intuitively sensible and (b) potentially dangerous. I'm struggling to figure out why the designers decided to do that.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post