Driving behaviours in snow?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Pim

Post by Pim »

Driver of an IV80 for just a week. Once you go Electric You'll never go back...
Although: in summer conditions I 'love' the rear-end motorisation. But I realised how former Merc's (or Beetles...) reacted in snowy conditions...
Heavy oversteer... and the normal way to behave was (rear-driven cars) to go off the accelerator without touching the clutch.
How does Eniaq react with rear-end power ánd recuperation on the rear axis?
Anyone with experiences yet?

RichR

Post by RichR »

I suspect we might need someone from a mountainous country where there is snow in summer to answer this :)

But from what I've heard from other RWD EVs, the traction control is generally pretty good at controlling slip on snowy roads. Don't forget that unlike a petrol engine and gearbox, the computer can cut torque to zero instantly, and brake the wheels enough to stop wheelspin very quickly. I know my friend's Tesla M3 doesn't like driving on ice, but not many cars without studded tyres do! Mind you, even on studs I've managed some pretty impressive slides with hire cars in Iceland on sheet ice. I've since learnt to brake far more gently and earlier. :D
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
jamest

Post by jamest »

Another thing to consider is that combustion engine cars have a load of weight over the front wheels because of the engine, so the rear wheels struggle more for traction in snow. With an EV the weight is more central due to the batteries, so rear wheel drive shouldn't be as bad.

I live on a steep hill, so I was a bit worried ordering a 2WD family car as we might end up unable to get up the hill on snowy days.. but after doing some research I discovered that winter tyres are far superior to having 4WD in snow (and in cold wet weather), so my plan is to use my local tyre place to swap to winter tyres during the colder months. They store your summer tyres during winter, and winter tyres during summer, and swap them over for you twice a year for a small fee. I think it's quite a common service.
Ordered 17th March 2021, delivered 17th November 2021. Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Moon White Metallic, 100kW, Comfort Seat Package Basic, Family Package Basic, Convenience Package Plus, Drive Sport Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Parking Package Plus.
MikeJL

Post by MikeJL »

Another option for town/city dwellers is all season tyres. They’re not as good as winter tyres but better than summer tyres, and save having to swap them twice a year.
Swapping tyres (as opposed to a second set of wheels) also increases the risk of damaging the wheel rims at each change.

We’ll use our other car (4WD & all season tyres) should we be hit by significant snow, unless the Enyaq proves to be as good as front wheel drive.
28/8/21 Ordered IV60 Lounge, Quartz Grey Metallic. Delivery quoted 6 months!
25/6/22 Collected car!
Software : ME3.0
Xtopher

Post by Xtopher »

jamest wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:56 pm Another thing to consider is that combustion engine cars have a load of weight over the front wheels because of the engine, so the rear wheels struggle more for traction in snow. With an EV the weight is more central due to the batteries, so rear wheel drive shouldn't be as bad.

I live on a steep hill, so I was a bit worried ordering a 2WD family car as we might end up unable to get up the hill on snowy days.. but after doing some research I discovered that winter tyres are far superior to having 4WD in snow (and in cold wet weather), so my plan is to use my local tyre place to swap to winter tyres during the colder months. They store your summer tyres during winter, and winter tyres during summer, and swap them over for you twice a year for a small fee. I think it's quite a common service.
This. Weight distribution is far better in an EV for getting weight onto the rear wheels, which would have been the classic issue in ICE RWD cars. Also winter/all-season on a RWD is better than 4WD on summer tyres. I've seen occasions where 4x4 on summer tyres struggle and our little car on all-seasons just pootled along quite happy. 4x4 on winters is king obviously.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

It’s a little unpredictable
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Was an absolute breeze today in the snow up here in Scotland.
Thomas419924

Post by Thomas419924 »

frankfurterbear1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 pm Was an absolute breeze today in the snow up here in Scotland.
Did you
Just have normal tyres or were they winter ones ?
:D IV80 race blue , Suite interior, heat pump , 125Kw fast charging, Climate plus pack .ordered Oct 16th 2021.
frankfurterbear1

Post by frankfurterbear1 »

Thomas419924 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:51 am
frankfurterbear1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 pm Was an absolute breeze today in the snow up here in Scotland.
Did you
Just have normal tyres or were they winter ones ?
Normal tyres 20inch and the fear of rear wheel drive was gone in no time.
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I couldnt get off my drive this morning. Not had this issue in the 12 years i've lived in the house. Absolutely useless, the rear just wants to go sideways. Had to dig the Kodiaq out.

Wife took the car on a 180 mile trip at the weekend and she ran out after about 160 from a full charge with a predicted mileage of 230. Went looking for a charger and the 7th one worked, all previous 6 not working around the York area - absolute nightmare.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post