Frozen headlights

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yep - it's only the matrix ones that have washers as the total light output is higher.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Skku

Post by Skku »

Sounds strange...I live in the north of Sweden in winter -10c to -20c is normal. But I don't have this problem with the headlights.....
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Skku wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:13 pm Sounds strange...I live in the north of Sweden in winter -10c to -20c is normal. But I don't have this problem with the headlights.....
I wonder if you have different headlamps heated in some way . Does your bonnet / hood stay iced up all day if not in the sun ?
Skku

Post by Skku »

C2atb wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:54 pm
Skku wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:13 pm Sounds strange...I live in the north of Sweden in winter -10c to -20c is normal. But I don't have this problem with the headlights.....
I wonder if you have different headlamps heated in some way . Does your bonnet / hood stay iced up all day if not in the sun ?
I don't know - I haven't thought about it. But I don't need to remove ice or snow from the headlights.... it's melts away when driving...

I have the matrix headlights.
RichR

Post by RichR »

I suspect it might be the particularly wet and high humidity of the UK causing issues - in 'proper' cold places where the temperature stays low the humidity also stays low so it's not an issue. In the UK it's not unusual to get moisture inside the headlight unit that condenses on the glass and takes a while for the heat of the light to drive it off for example. On the Hella units in the Enyaq most of the heat goes out of the top of the unit into the underbonnet area from the heatsinks, rather than into the area in front of the LEDs, so it can take a while.

I was in Tromso in northern Norway at the beginning of the month and saw loads of Enyaqs with no snow or ice on them at all, despite the air temperature being -10C. Much better than damp old England :D
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Skku wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:29 pm
C2atb wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:54 pm
I don't know - I haven't thought about it. But I don't need to remove ice or snow from the headlights.... it's melts away when driving...

I have the matrix headlights.
When you get to the car are the headlamps covered in ice /frosted ?
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

RichR wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:44 pm I suspect it might be the particularly wet and high humidity of the UK causing issues - in 'proper' cold places where the temperature stays low the humidity also stays low so it's not an issue. In the UK it's not unusual to get moisture inside the headlight unit that condenses on the glass and takes a while for the heat of the light to drive it off for example. On the Hella units in the Enyaq most of the heat goes out of the top of the unit into the underbonnet area from the heatsinks, rather than into the area in front of the LEDs, so it can take a while.

I was in Tromso in northern Norway at the beginning of the month and saw loads of Enyaqs with no snow or ice on them at all, despite the air temperature being -10C. Much better than damp old England :D
I was wondering if that is the case
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

It’s cold again and same issues happening. I’ve actually put neat -20 fluid in as didn’t have time /access to water last night . Got up at 4am and set windows and heaters to max for 25 mins . Got to car door handle and mirrors cracked as entering car . Lovely and warm all windows defrosted (apart from the sensor bit at the top of windscreen) . Headlamps frosted over as usual tried a quick squirt but frozen along with windscreen washers . Set off on my usual 50 mile commute with a view to stopping and cleaning windscreen manually if didnt defrost. Stopped after 25 miles with windscreen heater on max . Still frozen so manually used some neat screen wash and a cloth . Got home parked up for work 4 hours later went to go out and still frozen .? This is the UK what’s going on
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

Later on I tried windscreen again after being sat in the sun and still frozen . I turned headlights on and after a cracking noise they popped up and sprayed and straight after the windscreen too . Seems a bit odd almost as if it runs through the headlight washer first so if they are frozen or stuck you won’t get anything on the windscreen
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ oh, for the luxury of heated washer nozzles! I had those in my ex-Enyaq (courtesy of the Climate Plus package I think). Set off this morning with the sun blazing, pulled the washer stalk on the 3 series BMW I’m now temporarily in, and…. Nothing!! Completely frozen washer system. The Enyaq system worked perfectly for the 2 1/2 winters I had the Enyaq for In conditions like we’re having at the moment.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post