Is it winter that we're inter

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

It will reset at ME3 update as well. I would have preferred if it reset once a year and I would be able to see the average for a full year. Need to drive less i guess.... 🤣

Skeniv

Post by Skeniv »

I was getting around 240-250+ miles on a full charge during Summer.

Now that we’re approaching winter, the past month or so I’ve been getting between 200-210 mile range on a full charge. I’m currently doing a daily 25-35 mile commute into West London on motorways M3 & M25 mostly, 68-70mph on cruise control, Normal driving mode, Climate set to Auto between 22-24°C, then driving mostly on B roads and normal roads between surrounding towns/Boroughs averaging between 50-85 miles of daily driving.

My current Long-term 3.7mi/kWh, 5.3kWh/h.
Enyaq iV60 Loft, Brilliant Silver, 19” Regulus Anthracite. Plus Package. MY22 (Ordered 07/21 - Delivered 06/22).
comment23

Post by comment23 »

My Enyaq is due today 😬 Up until now I’ve been driving a petrol electric hybrid (not a PHEV) and have tended to obsess about my mpg in the same way I see EV drivers naturally obsess about range.

I’ve had the car 5 years and economy in the summer months has always been around 60-65mpg; in the winter it’s just under or over 50mpg, depending on where and how I drive. That’s around a 20% hit due to the weather, which appears very similar to what Enyaq drivers are reporting here in terms of range reduction.

So I’m working on the basis that seasonal changes are not an Enyaq problem, or an EV problem; it’s just physics.
Last edited by comment23 on Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electric since December 2022
RichR

Post by RichR »

People tend to forget that petrol/diesel cars also use more fuel when it's cold or raining. But because it's currently easier to refuel you don't pay it much attention. I've now got to that point with EVs - if I'm driving 500 miles then yes, I might care a bit more about where I need to charge. But for general commuting/shopping etc I just drive it and put it on charge overnight and not worry about it. It's still only costing a fraction of what a petrol/diesel car would, whether it's getting 4mi/kWh or 2mi/kWh.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

This is my third EV. Winter range always takes a hit, its quite normal.

In my previous LEAF, on the worst days i could arrive at work, from a full charge, down at 25% SOC. 75% of the battery used for a 40mile commute... In the summer, the same journey could see only 50% battery used, sometimes even less.

There are multiple factors. The battery is less efficient when its cold, the cabin requires heating, and there tends to be weather conditions such as wind/rain/snow which cause the car to simply require more energy just to move forwards. All of these combined mean your consumption takes a hit.

It does in an ICE too, just its less pronounced because of the larger tank, and the cabin heat coming from waste heat.

My average for the last few charges in the Enyaq has been around 2.8mi/kwh. Full charged range has dropped from ~200ish in summer to 160ish, which is much in line with my expectations from the two previous EV's.

I've noticed the battery heater makes quite a dent when its very cold at the start of the journey too. Oddly enough, i dont mind that. I see some folks on here and other forums moaning that the battery heater is using their charge up. My counter point is having owned a car without any battery thermal management (the LEAF) i would MUCH rather the car maintained the battery temperature and improved the battery longevity as a result.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
fivetide

Post by fivetide »

I largely agree about not worrying etc... but actually this did have a real world impact on Saturday, I was driving the family to a rural location about 90 miles from home. In the summer I did this same trip, and got home with 40 miles still in the 'tank'. This time, for the same journey, the read-out implied I would run out of power about five miles from home on the return leg. This meant I felt I did have to worry at least a little bit, and find a spot a reasonable walk away from my destination to get a few hours charge in (a free 7kw street charger actually - more about that another time). Whereas in the summer, I very much had an "it'll be fiiiiiine!" attitude (and it was). So it's not just irrational - losing 40-50 miles range in my iv60 is significant. But yeah, first world problems etc...
RichR

Post by RichR »

Like I said though - petrol and diesel cars have the same issue. I know I used to have to fill my Subaru's tank up more frequently in winter than I did in summer, but I guess because you get used to just pulling into a petrol station and adding fuel whenever the warning light comes on without worrying about how many miles it's been since you last did you don't think about it.

What I do like is that on some makes of EV now, you get a minimum and maximum estimate rather than one based just on the current average consumption. That maybe gives you a better indication as to whether you need to drive more gently or can carry on driving like you are.

I guess because I've got an 80 and have on a couple of occasions got over 300 miles from a 100% charge (though I really don't like running it below 20% most of the time) I'm a bit more relaxed about it. If I'm driving more than 200 miles in a day then I'll try to plan a charge stop combined with lunch/toilet/cup of tea if I can. Usually there'll be a McDonalds or something on or near the route, but yes, you can't always guarantee that will be possible at the moment.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

fivetide wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:54 pm I largely agree about not worrying etc... but actually this did have a real world impact on Saturday, I was driving the family to a rural location about 90 miles from home. In the summer I did this same trip, and got home with 40 miles still in the 'tank'. This time, for the same journey, the read-out implied I would run out of power about five miles from home on the return leg. This meant I felt I did have to worry at least a little bit, and find a spot a reasonable walk away from my destination to get a few hours charge in (a free 7kw street charger actually - more about that another time). Whereas in the summer, I very much had an "it'll be fiiiiiine!" attitude (and it was). So it's not just irrational - losing 40-50 miles range in my iv60 is significant. But yeah, first world problems etc...
Its really just learning the car. I simply wouldnt expect to get 180miles in an Enyaq 60 in winter. So i'd have set out knowing i need to find a charge somewhere.

I would also for instance charge to 100% instead of 80/90 ahead of such a long journey to ensure a large buffer, or (maybe!) drive slower to avoid having to stop etc etc.

As a rule of thumb assume a really bad winters day could see you use 30% more energy than a really good summers day and plan accordingly.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Pksk

Post by Pksk »

To add to those who have commented now coming into our second winter with the Enyaq. What is being described is as expected. I would recommend anyone to look at the Skoda Enyaq range estimator. Link at the bottom.

It is pretty accurate for an iV60, if a little low compared to my real experience.

I would call out the change in ME3.0 that will impact in winter. Pre 3.0 the battery warming would kick in around 7C which gives a sudden drop in range especially if you only ever do short journeys. ME3 they dropped the temp for battery warming which helps in short journeys. The downside is battery temp impacts charge speed for DC so it can take longer to get a good speed with a DC charger if the battery is cold as the car warms it up at the same time as charging until it is at 20C and then will charge increase speed.

https://rangecalculator.skoda-auto.com/ ... erature=21
IV 60 Suite, Race Blue, 21”, Climate Basic, Convenience Basic, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus. ME 3.0 updated, 125kwh charge upgrade. Hypervolt 2.0, Solar plus Battery.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

It would be nice if they let you keep the 7c limit, or allowed it to be adjustable.

If you want to penny pinch on short journeys and risk additional battery deterioration and slow rapid charging, you can set it to 0.

If you want to care for the battery more and have it warm for rapid charging you can raise the limit to 5/7/10 etc.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post