Lost heat pump cooling and heating

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR »

I suspect that because the condenser has to work at the very high pressures in a CO2 based system, it's made out of much stronger materials and is possibly more expensive to weld compared to the much lower pressures in a R12/R134/R1234 based system. Price is probably also related to the fact that it's a very new car too.

As you say, stones through radiators, oil coolers and condensers are just one of those things that happen on any car. I once had a stone go right through the condenser and radiator on my old Vectra. The stone also took out a clip holding a wiring loom onto the engine block too. So I had to pay for not only a new condenser and aircon regas, but also coolant radiator.

It's just a shame you had to go to those lengths to get what is a common problem diagnosed. Really they should have spotted that within an hour of having the car for inspection as it's got to be the most likely reason for a loss of gas.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

Mellowdogs_life

Post by Mellowdogs_life »

RichR wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:10 am I suspect that because the condenser has to work at the very high pressures in a CO2 based system, it's made out of much stronger materials and is possibly more expensive to weld compared to the much lower pressures in a R12/R134/R1234 based system. Price is probably also related to the fact that it's a very new car too.

As you say, stones through radiators, oil coolers and condensers are just one of those things that happen on any car. I once had a stone go right through the condenser and radiator on my old Vectra. The stone also took out a clip holding a wiring loom onto the engine block too. So I had to pay for not only a new condenser and aircon regas, but also coolant radiator.

It's just a shame you had to go to those lengths to get what is a common problem diagnosed. Really they should have spotted that within an hour of having the car for inspection as it's got to be the most likely reason for a loss of gas.
TBH, I think the local retailer probably did spot it but didn't have the equipment to gas / refill... plus knowing it wouldn't be a warranty claim (having spotted the damage) decided to keep their suspicions to themselves and bail while they still had plausible deniability! They didn't want anything to do with the job I suspect!! Understandable on a human level... but equally totally unacceptable.

On the plus side, their incompetence in handling it has ultimately saved me a metric butt ton of cash, so gotta take it for what it is and move on I guess...!
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

Insurance?
Mellowdogs_life

dezember wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 am Isn't the condenser protected by that no hole front grill? :)
Sadly not... there are real vents lower down. Probably a 1 : 100,000 shot to get something fly in and hit it :roll:
Mellowdogs_life

Vasarolli wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:48 pmInsurance?
That probably would have been the best way forward in most cases.

In my case, Skoda UK have been very obliging though. Given the appalling service I had even getting as far as being able to diagnose it, plus the parts being on back order, we have come to a better solution ;)

Be warned though - if you need any kind of air con service or re-gas on a heat pump equipped Enyaq, your options will be very limited. I've had to travel past about 5 closer main dealers to find one 2 hours away that actually has the equipment and gas to do it!
Mr M1

Post by Mr M1 »

Have just begun what sounds like the same process, @Mellowdogs_life. took delivery of our IV80 w/heatpump in November. Heat worked fine all winter. When we switched on the AC for the first time about a month ago, it blew hot. Finally got it back into the dealer in Teesside this morning. They just called to say gas was gone/low, and they don't have the kit to fix it. All sounds very familiar, doesn't it! They're dealing with SkodaUK to track down the nearest recharger, and I am duly not optimistic of a rapid resolution. But if they say anything about stone damage, I intend to call foul, and quickly. Surely if a stone has managed to pierce two compressed gas units on these vehicles this quickly, that's not an act of god, but an act of poor engineering. Will update as I learn more, and thanks to you and others on this forum for at least providing me with precedent as I begin dealing with both dealer and (hopefully not) SkodaUK.
Mellowdogs_life

Update: parts are all here. Leaving it with them for a week, mostly because it suits me to do that and partly because they've never done one before, so best not to put them under any time pressure.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the sun while it lasted: standby for a prolonged unseasonably cold period, starting all from next Saturday I expect... :roll: :D
Mellowdogs_life

Mr M1 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:43 pm Have just begun what sounds like the same process, @Mellowdogs_life. took delivery of our IV80 w/heatpump in November. Heat worked fine all winter. When we switched on the AC for the first time about a month ago, it blew hot. Finally got it back into the dealer in Teesside this morning. They just called to say gas was gone/low, and they don't have the kit to fix it. All sounds very familiar, doesn't it! They're dealing with SkodaUK to track down the nearest recharger, and I am duly not optimistic of a rapid resolution. But if they say anything about stone damage, I intend to call foul, and quickly. Surely if a stone has managed to pierce two compressed gas units on these vehicles this quickly, that's not an act of god, but an act of poor engineering. Will update as I learn more, and thanks to you and others on this forum for at least providing me with precedent as I begin dealing with both dealer and (hopefully not) SkodaUK.
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will be a warranty issue. Compressor leaks have been reasonably common I believe. If they do anything other than direct you to the nearest retailer and pay to trailer it there, escalate it with Skoda UK and get a case reference. If they don't act quickly and resolve it for you, send me a PM and I will give you the MD's email address and my case reference. Pop him an email and feel free to point out we are in contact and that it's totally unacceptable that they appear to have learned nothing from my case! If they cannot link cases to coordinate failures themselves, we'll have to do it for them... :roll:

Hope you get it sorted and keep us all posted. Good luck!
Mellowdogs_life

Update: car is still in bits on the ramp at Skoda... guess what? They don't have one of the required o rings. Which is (of course) on back order, with no date showing. They cannot tell me when the repair will be completed. It's getting so ridiculous, I'm not sure I even care anymore.

It seems the total nightmare continues though...
ChangoMutney

Post by ChangoMutney »

Mellowdogs_life wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:59 pm Update: car is still in bits on the ramp at Skoda... guess what? They don't have one of the required o rings. Which is (of course) on back order, with no date showing. They cannot tell me when the repair will be completed. It's getting so ridiculous, I'm not sure I even care anymore.

It seems the total nightmare continues though...
Can't they just use the o-ring spec to order one from a UK supplier. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ sell every conceivable size, section and material, and will delivery next day. I use them all the time. No affiliation.
Ordered iv80 09-12-21 MY22 - Delivered 11-08-22
Moon White, Loft, 19", Seat Basic, Heat pump, Tow bar, Climate +, Convenience +, Transport, Light and View Basic, Drive Sport +, Assisted Drive +, Park +, Infotainment +, Sunroof, SW3.1 Zappi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post