Lost heat pump cooling and heating

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
RichR

Post by RichR » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:10 am

I suspect that because the condenser has to work at the very high pressures in a CO2 based system, it's made out of much stronger materials and is possibly more expensive to weld compared to the much lower pressures in a R12/R134/R1234 based system. Price is probably also related to the fact that it's a very new car too.

As you say, stones through radiators, oil coolers and condensers are just one of those things that happen on any car. I once had a stone go right through the condenser and radiator on my old Vectra. The stone also took out a clip holding a wiring loom onto the engine block too. So I had to pay for not only a new condenser and aircon regas, but also coolant radiator.

It's just a shame you had to go to those lengths to get what is a common problem diagnosed. Really they should have spotted that within an hour of having the car for inspection as it's got to be the most likely reason for a loss of gas.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Built Nov 2021.

Mellowdogs_life

Post by Mellowdogs_life » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:18 am

RichR wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:10 am
I suspect that because the condenser has to work at the very high pressures in a CO2 based system, it's made out of much stronger materials and is possibly more expensive to weld compared to the much lower pressures in a R12/R134/R1234 based system. Price is probably also related to the fact that it's a very new car too.

As you say, stones through radiators, oil coolers and condensers are just one of those things that happen on any car. I once had a stone go right through the condenser and radiator on my old Vectra. The stone also took out a clip holding a wiring loom onto the engine block too. So I had to pay for not only a new condenser and aircon regas, but also coolant radiator.

It's just a shame you had to go to those lengths to get what is a common problem diagnosed. Really they should have spotted that within an hour of having the car for inspection as it's got to be the most likely reason for a loss of gas.
TBH, I think the local retailer probably did spot it but didn't have the equipment to gas / refill... plus knowing it wouldn't be a warranty claim (having spotted the damage) decided to keep their suspicions to themselves and bail while they still had plausible deniability! They didn't want anything to do with the job I suspect!! Understandable on a human level... but equally totally unacceptable.

On the plus side, their incompetence in handling it has ultimately saved me a metric butt ton of cash, so gotta take it for what it is and move on I guess...!

Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Insurance?

Mellowdogs_life

Post by Mellowdogs_life » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 am

dezember wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 am
Isn't the condenser protected by that no hole front grill? :)
Sadly not... there are real vents lower down. Probably a 1 : 100,000 shot to get something fly in and hit it :roll:

Mellowdogs_life

Post by Mellowdogs_life » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:21 am

Vasarolli wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:48 pm
Insurance?
That probably would have been the best way forward in most cases.

In my case, Skoda UK have been very obliging though. Given the appalling service I had even getting as far as being able to diagnose it, plus the parts being on back order, we have come to a better solution ;)

Be warned though - if you need any kind of air con service or re-gas on a heat pump equipped Enyaq, your options will be very limited. I've had to travel past about 5 closer main dealers to find one 2 hours away that actually has the equipment and gas to do it!

Mr M1

Post by Mr M1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:43 pm

Have just begun what sounds like the same process, @Mellowdogs_life. took delivery of our IV80 w/heatpump in November. Heat worked fine all winter. When we switched on the AC for the first time about a month ago, it blew hot. Finally got it back into the dealer in Teesside this morning. They just called to say gas was gone/low, and they don't have the kit to fix it. All sounds very familiar, doesn't it! They're dealing with SkodaUK to track down the nearest recharger, and I am duly not optimistic of a rapid resolution. But if they say anything about stone damage, I intend to call foul, and quickly. Surely if a stone has managed to pierce two compressed gas units on these vehicles this quickly, that's not an act of god, but an act of poor engineering. Will update as I learn more, and thanks to you and others on this forum for at least providing me with precedent as I begin dealing with both dealer and (hopefully not) SkodaUK.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post