Full time granny charging

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

orrery wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm
BioHzrd wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:03 pm Should never plug a "Granny Charger" into an extension lead...

Buy an extension lead that is specifically designed for EVs from Toughleads. The problem is to do with old sockets and loose wires. Buy a granny cable that can be set back to lower currents (6 amps/ 8 amps) - see 3rd Rock Energy.

Plug into a socket that has been checked over and preferably has its own trip. Check all plugs and sockets in the first few minutes of each charge to make sure they are not getting hot - warm is OK, hot isn't.

If you are careful and sensible then there should be no problem in using a granny cable for long periods.
Fair enough buying from a company that says the product is "designed" for that purpose but it still doesn't get around the fact that there is no BS standard for their product. Extensions should comply with BS1363-2 and be marked accordingly no idea if the leads are marked or tested to this standard.

Also unless your a qualified electrician you really shouldn't be "checking" the connections on your home's sockets tightening them up as hard as you can does more harm than good and can cause damage like the image above all electrical items have specific torque settings for this reason, also all UK homes "should" be periodically inspected and tested to BS7671every 10 years (Domestic Properties) but this isn't law and is rarely done

Every socket outlet within a UK property to BS7671:2018 Amendment 2 should be covered by AFDD (Arc Fault Detection Device) but this isn't the norm plus the AFDDs are around Β£400 each. RCD protection on all socket outlets that can be used with outside equipment is the minimum standard using a plug in RCD in my personal opionin doesn't tick this box as it not protecting the "circuit" from faults only the equipment plugged in
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! πŸ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company πŸ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚

C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I have a dedicated outdoor socket with a trip safety on it linked to granny charger and a few times it’s tripped so would be careful without extra protection
orrery

Post by orrery »

BioHzrd wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:54 am
BioHzrd wrote: ↑Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:03 pm Should never plug a "Granny Charger" into an extension lead...

Buy an extension lead that is specifically designed for EVs from Toughleads. The problem is to do with old sockets and loose wires. Buy a granny cable that can be set back to lower currents (6 amps/ 8 amps) - see 3rd Rock Energy.

Plug into a socket that has been checked over and preferably has its own trip. Check all plugs and sockets in the first few minutes of each charge to make sure they are not getting hot - warm is OK, hot isn't.

If you are careful and sensible then there should be no problem in using a granny cable for long periods.
Fair enough buying from a company that says the product is "designed" for that purpose ...

If you buy a Toughleads extension, you'll see why I'm recommending them. All lead-ends have crimps, the cable is massively over-rated, the socket is waterproof and has a large enclosure (many EV granny leads have a bulbous 13 amp plug which won't fit into a standard Masterplug waterproof socket). Many standard extensions at 6 amps, or 10 amps if you're lucky - that isn't much use when the typical problem is overheating of the 'live' terminal in the plug (and therefore the pin in the socket) due to heating from the fuse (it is possible but rare for the neutral to overheat). You effectively depend on the grade of cable attached to take the heat away, but some heating is perfectly is normal.

When people ask questions, I can only make the best recommendations that I'm aware of, but as a (now retired) Chartered Electrical Engineer I'm perfectly capable of assessing the suitability of a such a product, whether of not it has a British Standard attached to it. I've thrown out many a substandard, poorly designed and poorly made piece of kit that was fully approved.

Let's be clear - EV manufacturers issue warnings about using a 13 amp socket or extension lead and rightly so as 10 amps continuous is a high current and there a lot of ways to get it wrong. Mainly using incorrectly rated or poorly maintained installations. Garages are full of dusty damp tarnished 13 amp sockets.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
dezember

Post by dezember »

All very useful information here, so I thank you all for that. I thought this would be a very dry question but it seems to be quite an interesrting one too. I might even get 2 granny chargers, one permanently attached to a fused box and another one solely for travelling. Toughlead extension looks great too. Eventually might get one too just in case we need it for travelling where their plugs are not that accessible.

Btw, i can only see toughlead extension cables but not the granny charger. Am I right that they don't sell granny charger?
iV60 Metallic Green :) Assisted Drive. Climate basic. Light & view. Parking plus. Lounge. Ordered 1st Dec 2021. Delivered in August 2022.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

orrery wrote: ↑Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:56 pm
BioHzrd wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:54 am

Fair enough buying from a company that says the product is "designed" for that purpose ...

If you buy a Toughleads extension, you'll see why I'm recommending them. All lead-ends have crimps, the cable is massively over-rated, the socket is waterproof and has a large enclosure (many EV granny leads have a bulbous 13 amp plug which won't fit into a standard Masterplug waterproof socket). Many standard extensions at 6 amps, or 10 amps if you're lucky - that isn't much use when the typical problem is overheating of the 'live' terminal in the plug (and therefore the pin in the socket) due to heating from the fuse (it is possible but rare for the neutral to overheat). You effectively depend on the grade of cable attached to take the heat away, but some heating is perfectly is normal.

When people ask questions, I can only make the best recommendations that I'm aware of, but as a (now retired) Chartered Electrical Engineer I'm perfectly capable of assessing the suitability of a such a product, whether of not it has a British Standard attached to it. I've thrown out many a substandard, poorly designed and poorly made piece of kit that was fully approved.

Let's be clear - EV manufacturers issue warnings about using a 13 amp socket or extension lead and rightly so as 10 amps continuous is a high current and there a lot of ways to get it wrong. Mainly using incorrectly rated or poorly maintained installations. Garages are full of dusty damp tarnished 13 amp sockets.

Still doesn't get around the fact it goes against Manufactures Instruction for the kit even if the leads are marketed as "EV Extension" and are well manufactured it's a fire waiting to happen
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! πŸ˜ƒ

Might work for a well know charging company πŸ˜‰

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about πŸ˜‚

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post