Anyone set up Apple Car Key?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
white67

Post by white67 »

I've been reading about putting the Enyaq "key" on to Apple Wallet.

Apparently Apple allows you to use Wallet to act as a key, which could be handy.

Has anyone managed this trick yet?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211234
Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Race Blue Metallic, 21" Betria Alloys, Tow Bar Prep, Comfort Seat Basic - with Heated Seats added, Convenience Pack Plus,
Drive Pack Basic, Light & View Pack Basic, Parking Pack Plus, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus

RichR

Post by RichR »

As far as I know, very few cars are compatible with this yet - mainly just some newer BMWs.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Skeniv

Post by Skeniv »

It all depends if the Enyaq and/or Skoda cars are part of the compatible lists that supports Apple CarKeys, which I don’t believe it is. The compatible list have been opened up recently though with the addition of certain Kia and Genesis models.
Enyaq iV60 Loft, Brilliant Silver, 19” Regulus Anthracite. Plus Package. MY22 (Ordered 07/21 - Delivered 06/22).
RichR

Post by RichR »

Found the list: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

It's the ones with a key symbol next to the model, which is indeed BMW, and a couple of Kia and Genesis models only at the moment.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Skeniv

Post by Skeniv »

RichR wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:08 am Found the list: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

It's the ones with a key symbol next to the model, which is indeed BMW, and a couple of Kia and Genesis models only at the moment.

That’s the list for Apple CarPlay for the infotainment. The Apple Car Key is for starting, locking and unlocking the car using your smartphone, think along the lines of KESSY.
Enyaq iV60 Loft, Brilliant Silver, 19” Regulus Anthracite. Plus Package. MY22 (Ordered 07/21 - Delivered 06/22).
RichR

Post by RichR »

It's the list for both. The ones that support keys have a key symbol by them.
Skeniv

Post by Skeniv »

It is indeed. Well spotted.
Bferry70

Post by Bferry70 »

I presume when / if this becomes available for the Enyaq then it will only be for models spec'd with keyless entry? Or would it be possible for all models?
Enyaq iV 60 EcoSuite

Family Pack Plus, Climate Pack Basic, Drive Sport Pack Basic, Parking Pack Basic, 125kw DC Charging. Ordered 27th July, ETA March / April 2022
RichR

Post by RichR »

I doubt it'll be available on the Enyaq (at least not the current model, possibly a facelift in the future) due to type approval relating to vehicle security and lack of specific hardware. In theory it could require the Infotainment to be running in some sort of minimal CarPlay mode when the car is off and locked, listening via Bluetooth, and then sending a message via CANBUS to the central locking/alarm module to lock/unlock etc. I don't think the power arrangements allow for that in the current Enyaq.

I suspect the BMWs (and Kia and Genesis) have some dedicated low power module that listens for a connection from a phone separate to the main Infotainment system. Note that it's only on the new version of the Kia Niro, not the older versions for example.

There's no reason why it would require keyless entry though, as it's separate to the keyfobs, it's a module in the car itself telling the doors to lock/unlock.
white67

Post by white67 »

Thanks for the info RichR. Appreciated.
Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Race Blue Metallic, 21" Betria Alloys, Tow Bar Prep, Comfort Seat Basic - with Heated Seats added, Convenience Pack Plus,
Drive Pack Basic, Light & View Pack Basic, Parking Pack Plus, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post