Protecting charging cable from theft

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I’d say same , if they realise it’s locked into vehicle and could possibly damage it they would just try someone else’s just like trying to steal a car always take the easy option

BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

I'm yet to hear of a theft of a car charging cable if I'm honest isn't exactly an easy thing to steal from a car when it's locked into a socket both ends.

Rapid cables on the other hand yes as these can be cut through while the charger is on and not charging as no current is passing through then, take a look at the Tesla issue in the states for an example !
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
orrery

Post by orrery »

BioHzrd wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:14 am I'm yet to hear of a theft of a car charging cable...

I've seen postings of the cables being stolen, and cut off in some cases. I've had a cable forced out of the front of the Leaf (type 1), but it was padlocked. It may have been disconnected as a jolly jape (it was a week or so after Clarkson advocated pulling them out) but if the other end had come out of the charger then it would have been on the floor for anyone to half-inch without the padlock.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

orrery wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:24 pm
BioHzrd wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:14 am I'm yet to hear of a theft of a car charging cable...

I've seen postings of the cables being stolen, and cut off in some cases. I've had a cable forced out of the front of the Leaf (type 1), but it was padlocked. It may have been disconnected as a jolly jape (it was a week or so after Clarkson advocated pulling them out) but if the other end had come out of the charger then it would have been on the floor for anyone to half-inch without the padlock.
Type1 cables weren't exactly secure though was a piss poor design ! Type 2 on the other hand needs to forcibly removed causing damage to charger, car and most likely cable though and you'd need to be pretty desperate and in the middle of nowhere to go in noticed !
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

orrery wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:49 am
gap998 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:39 pm At the end of the day if someone wants it and the vehicle & charger locks don't put them off, nothing will - They'll just cut them.
True, but if you take care to fit a lock they will probably take someone else's.
Unlikely to be the case. You EV is probably the few in the area if they are targeting EV and cables, yours is ok their hit list and they will get it. Unless you have a garage and everything is inside, you are vulnerable.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ I think we’ve got 7 or 8 cameras around the perimeter of our house, so it’d be pretty difficult for someone to do this and not be detected 🤣 (no it’s not a huge manor. I’ve just gone completely overboard with cheapies from Amazon!)

It’s actually foxes I’m concerned about; we have a big problem around here and several of us have had garden light cables (for example) chewed through by foxes. I sprayed repellent on my fixed PodPoint cable. So far, so good - or they have a sixth-sense ‘self preservation instinct’ and know better than to chew through a high voltage cable 😂 🦊 ⚡️
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post