Upgrade from iV60 to iV80

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ if there’s motorway / dual carriageway driving involved, try setting the ACC to 56~60 mph. You ‘might’ find it helps to avoid having a charge stop somewhere, and actually get you home sooner !! (My ‘tortoise vs. hare theory!!) 👍
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).

RichR

Post by RichR »

Definitely look into some of the range improving driving techniques to see if that helps eke it out a little more. Maybe keep records so you know what average you get doing the same route whilst you change one thing at a time. You're probably doing this anyway :)
I'd start by using cruise control as much as possible as it having a constant speed helps a lot (acceleration uses a lot more power) and makes it easier to compare how much economy changes if you reduce your average speed by 5mph, then try 8mph etc.
For motorways I like to set ACC to 65mph, but then drop in behind a truck that's doing 60mph and just relax. Obviously if you don't have ACC that technique doesn't work so well. Avoiding changing lanes and speeds can save quite a bit, so try to only do it if absolutely necessary.

Try reducing (not turning off) the climate control a little - see if having it on auto at 18C is still warm enough (use heated seats and steering wheel if you've got them, as they use a lot less power). Turning off climate control makes it difficult to compare journeys if you need to turn it on occasionally to demist the windows for example. On full auto the car will use its many sensors to use just enough power to keep the windows clear and the air at the temperature you set.
Pay attention to the car's suggestions on when to stop accelerating (the white icon with the foot coming off the pedal) on approach to junctions and roundabouts. I know it seems to like to start slowing down really early, but it saves you having to brake much (if at all), which wastes energy. I'd say keep the regen in D Auto if you're on major roads. Sometimes B mode scrubs too much speed and you'd save more power by letting it coast (regen on flat roads doesn't get that much back, though downhill gets a lot)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
andym69

Post by andym69 »

Thanks for this, there's a lot I'm doing already; I do find the car is misting up very easily so I have a choice of the AC on all the time or have to do a fast demist every so often to clear the screens, I wonder if Auto is a better option? I am spreadsheet obsessed so do have a lot of stats captured around the miles / % used, type of journey etc.

I'm using the ACC a lot of the time, (it has it's annoying features around dropping the speed dramatically when it thinks you're in a 30 and you're actually in a 50 / 60) - but as we've said on other threads we should always be prepared to intervene.

Looking at my stats, the average 100% battery mileage for my slow journeys is 180 miles, and for the faster journeys is 160 which is obviously very indicative that speed is playing a large factor here. I'm afraid I'm just not able to sit at 60-65 on a motorway, it's not in my nature (I do understand speed and acceleration eat the battery) - I clearly need to chill out a bit!

The comments on regen D and B are very interesting as I always drive on B and always thought it was the most efficient way to drive (well that's what the dealership told me) - I'll have a try at using D and do some test drives.

So far, I'm taking away that 100% AC charging is okay and to try adopting a different regen approach so this is proving very useful - thanks for taking the time. :-)

Andy

RichR wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:49 am Definitely look into some of the range improving driving techniques to see if that helps eke it out a little more. Maybe keep records so you know what average you get doing the same route whilst you change one thing at a time. You're probably doing this anyway :)
I'd start by using cruise control as much as possible as it having a constant speed helps a lot (acceleration uses a lot more power) and makes it easier to compare how much economy changes if you reduce your average speed by 5mph, then try 8mph etc.
For motorways I like to set ACC to 65mph, but then drop in behind a truck that's doing 60mph and just relax. Obviously if you don't have ACC that technique doesn't work so well. Avoiding changing lanes and speeds can save quite a bit, so try to only do it if absolutely necessary.

Try reducing (not turning off) the climate control a little - see if having it on auto at 18C is still warm enough (use heated seats and steering wheel if you've got them, as they use a lot less power). Turning off climate control makes it difficult to compare journeys if you need to turn it on occasionally to demist the windows for example. On full auto the car will use its many sensors to use just enough power to keep the windows clear and the air at the temperature you set.
Pay attention to the car's suggestions on when to stop accelerating (the white icon with the foot coming off the pedal) on approach to junctions and roundabouts. I know it seems to like to start slowing down really early, but it saves you having to brake much (if at all), which wastes energy. I'd say keep the regen in D Auto if you're on major roads. Sometimes B mode scrubs too much speed and you'd save more power by letting it coast (regen on flat roads doesn't get that much back, though downhill gets a lot)
Delivered October 2021: Enyaq iV 60 Lounge, Race Blue Metallic, Assisted Drive Basic, Comfort Seat Basic, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Light and View Basic.
andym69

Post by andym69 »

Goaty - this is something for me to think about, along with the 100% charging!

Thanks
Andy
Goaty wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:42 am /\ if there’s motorway / dual carriageway driving involved, try setting the ACC to 56~60 mph. You ‘might’ find it helps to avoid having a charge stop somewhere, and actually get you home sooner !! (My ‘tortoise vs. hare theory!!) 👍
Delivered October 2021: Enyaq iV 60 Lounge, Race Blue Metallic, Assisted Drive Basic, Comfort Seat Basic, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Light and View Basic.
RichR

Post by RichR »

In towns where you're constantly speeding up and slowing down, B can work out better. But on flattish fast roads it's generally better to be in D, allowing coasting with minimal 'engine braking' where possible. If you use the car's motion to generate electricity through regenerative braking then you're just going to need to use electricity to maintain a set speed again. And regen is much less than 100% efficient. I know some people are unnerved by minimal engine braking, but you soon get used to it.

But yes, as with petrol/diesel engines - a more relaxed driving style leads to much better economy. I have driven from Yorkshire to Scotland and did around 350 miles to a tank of petrol in my old Nissan Pulsar GTI-R. But in the same car, I've burnt through a full tank on a track day in well under 100 miles of distance travelled. EVs are no different to petrol cars in that respect - drive smoothly and calmly and you'll get big miles. Blast your 350bhp barely road-legal 1990s rally homologation special round Croft circuit for an afternoon and you'll be in search of the nearest place that does Super Unleaded to get home afterward :D
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

andym69 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:26 pm Thanks for this, there's a lot I'm doing already; I do find the car is misting up very easily so I have a choice of the AC on all the time or have to do a fast demist every so often to clear the screens, I wonder if Auto is a better option?
Yes, I think other threads have suggested AC on auto doesn't cost much efficiency, but after an initial demist it keeps the windows clear and temperature constant. Suffering without, then blasting out, then turning off again, is less efficient.
I also support Goaty's tortoise and the hare approach - reducing speed to 60-65mph can make for a substantially quicker journey if it saves faffing around stopping to charge. It probably saves as much accelerating to overtake, or slowing behind a slower car and speeding up again to overtake, etc. which are all less efficient than keeping a steadier speed.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

I have a 60 with heatpump. Most of the time my commute is a 30 mile round trip and I charge at home.
Driving to NL and FR to see family in the summer, it was 340 miles to Rotterdam, and then around 600 miles to get to Brittany the next day.
Even with an 80 I'd have to stop to charge a few times on that trip.
It was my first long trip, and I was ready for the worst, and initially drove economically to increase range.
But charging network in NL, Belgium and France was actually quite good, and on the way back it was quicker because I knew I could drive at normal speeds, and could probably risk going further between charging stops.
So I'm quite happy with it. I find it more relaxing to drive than my previous petrol or diesel cars, and the stops every 90-120minutes do me good too.
I've not done a similar trip in the UK yet.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post