Switching between D and B mode

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

Silly noobie question: Can you switch between D and B modes using the "gear" toggle whilst in motion, or do you have to park up with the handbrake on before you do it?
I could just try it, but don't want to do the equivalent of "crunch gears", and couldn't find a clear answer in the pdf manual. Thanks!
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995

Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

Yes, you can do it. Similar to changing drive modes from normal to sport etc.
sam_vasu

Post by sam_vasu »

You can switch at any time - I was trying it out for the first time on a very stop-start A2 commute this morning.
RichR

Post by RichR »

There are no gears, or gearbox as such (well, there's a fixed gear from the motor output to the differential pinion, but you can't change it).

All you're doing it asking the computer to use maximum regeneration when the accelerator pedal isn't pressed rather than letting it choose the level (or you by using the paddles).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

Thanks all - I realise there are no gears!
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Although I started my Enyaq experience a month ago using only B mode, I’m definitely a D mode convert now and maximising the benefit of coasting, as much as possible.
Also I notice that B mode activates the brake lights a lot more than D mode; or more specifically a colleague who was following in her car behind me, told me that it looks like I’m braking for no apparent reason (when lifting off the accelerator in B mode).
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
Bryanmet

Post by Bryanmet »

I use B all the time now - I find it much easier. Not one pedal driving for sure but does reduce the use of the break pedal. Think the brake light only comes on if you come off the accelerator sharply.
Private Car: Enyaq IV60 Suite - Brilliant Silver, 21” Alloys, Convenience Plus, Parking Basic, Climate Basic, Tow Bar, 100Kw. Ordered 21/07/21 - Delivered 22/11/21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

It's personal preference - but it's nice to have that choice unlike with a petrol/diesel (well, I guess you could drive around in 2nd gear all the time if you wanted).

For me, I like the automatic regen level system. Coasts when there's nothing ahead, increases regen when there is a corner or a car in front or approaching a reduction in speed limit or junction. Essentially apart from actually stopping at a junction it does most of the braking for you, and probably manages energy optimally (ie not using the motor to when it doesn't need to, and slowing gradually for junctions so it doesn't use the friction brakes until the very last second).
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Bryanmet wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 am ….Think the brake light only comes on if you come off the accelerator sharply.

Ah ok, good to know. I can check that on some dark country lanes near me, where I can see in my rear view mirror when the brake lights come on.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

As per EU/UK lighting regulations, they'll come on if the car decelerates by more than a certain amount. Using max regen at a reasonable speed will exceed this amount so cause them to come on. It's possible that it's set to just put them on whenever regen is creating more than a certain current from the motor.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post