The Heat Pump Debate

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

Ok so i am now on my second EV neither of them have had a heat pump, I drove 300 miles over the weekend with an outside temp of 10c and had the aircon on at 21.5c over the 300 miles some of which was quite quick i averaged 3.5 miles per kwh can it be categorically proven that that would have been any better with the heat pump option @ £1000
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I hope we do get some idea during the next few months how relevant the heat pump is. I suppose this winter, will be the first time that heat pumps on the MEB platform have been tested this way by the public; last winter was largely EV reviewers testing press cars.

£1000 equates to a lot of kWh’s !!! Might take a while to break even.

The Enyaq warms up really quickly; we found that a good economical way to maintain comfort is to run the heating at 30oC (or whatever the max is) for a couple of minutes, and then either turn it off altogether after then or turn it down to about 20 and put recirculation on - my logic here being it will recirculate the air I spent 2 mins warming up.

Also helps that we have 4 heated seats too.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

According to the graphs VW produced, it's most effective at 0C and below, and probably more use on longer journeys where it's maintaining a set temperature. Potentially 15% less charge used to maintain 20C cabin temperature. (VW originally quoted 20%, but real world measurements led them to retract that and say 15% was more typical)

Personally, on my £48500 Sportline, I decided it was worth having even if it's only slightly more efficient than not having it. I do a lot of long journeys in winter with the climate control set to 20C so based on what other makes with heat pumps perform like, I thought it worthwhile to get a probable reduction in the amount of range lost in winter due to low temperatures, meaning I could keep my route plans more similar by not having to charge in different places.

To look at it another way - is metallic paint worth the price? It's personal choice ultimately, but because I don't really care if the paint is sparkly or not, I chose to go for non-metallic paint which brings the heat pump option down to 0.6% of the cost of the car. I can understand if it was an option-free 60 it would be a bigger percentage of the car's cost so potentially a more difficult choice though.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

It'll be the below 0 temps that it will show ita worth but personally as a £1000 option that may benefit me 2 maybe 3 months of the year I didn't see its worth in increasing my PCP figure.

Pre heating before departure for those without a hearpump will save on the kWh in the winter time.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
darkside66
Location: In The middle (Leicestershire) then over to the right (Norfolk)

Post by darkside66 »

I’m not a technical person but we have air conditioning at work that has an inverter that then also warms the office in the cooler months why can’t cat manufacturers use a similarly system in cars.
Sportline 80 Black Magic Comfort Seat + climate + infotainment + Drive Sport + Assisted Drive Betria 21 Standard charging
Mrs Darkside Vauxhall Mokka e
Yipeeee we are an all electric household :D :D Oh no just remembered I have a petrol mower :o
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yep - I've had four years of pre-heating my Outlander before commuting to the office. I can confirm that makes a big difference for the bulk of most people's daily use driving to work. It does help on longer journeys as it means the climate control is only maintaining a temperature rather than having to work hard to get to it.
It is all down to how you will use the car, which I guess is why VW/Skoda/Audi make the heat pump optional, whereas others such as Tesla and Stellantis brands make you pay for it whether you'll get any benefit or not.

Aircon system is indeed also a heat pump, just in the opposite direction ;) Some cars use a system that can both heat and cool, some use two systems. There are merits to both approaches, not just in performance but relating to how easily the platform can be used for different car models in terms of placement of radiators etc.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I did have a heat pump on the first Enyaq I ordered (fully loaded iV60 Suite) but there wasn’t enough budget available to me on the company car scheme when I cancelled and ordered an 80 instead - not with the other things I wanted.

My initial logic was: a heat pump in a 60 might get close to the range of an 80 without a heat pump. But I doubt that’s the case, at all.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

RichR wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:17 pm Yep - I've had four years of pre-heating my Outlander before commuting to the office. I can confirm that makes a big difference for the bulk of most people's daily use driving to work. It does help on longer journeys as it means the climate control is only maintaining a temperature rather than having to work hard to get to it.
It is all down to how you will use the car, which I guess is why VW/Skoda/Audi make the heat pump optional, whereas others such as Tesla and Stellantis brands make you pay for it whether you'll get any benefit or not.

Aircon system is indeed also a heat pump, just in the opposite direction ;) Some cars use a system that can both heat and cool, some use two systems. There are merits to both approaches, not just in performance but relating to how easily the platform can be used for different car models in terms of placement of radiators etc.
Our of curiosity can you preheat the outlander without it on charge? I'm away to get a commercial one for work and don't have a home charger yet ?

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Vasarolli

Post by Vasarolli »

When talking about pre-heating do you mean pre-heating the cabin or the batteries? Understand Tesla cam pre-heat the battery to improve performance and reduce consumption. Or?
BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Pre hearing the cabin before a journey not the battery, battery pre heat is only beneficial for rapid charging

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post