Does sat-nav use real-time availability?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
oceanexplorer

Post by oceanexplorer »

I know that the sat-nav is able to list the availability of a particular charging points, what I was wondering is will it do this in real-time, e.g. if I have a charging point as part of route but that charging station becomes full as we get closer will it auto-route to another location?

orrery

Post by orrery »

That would assume that the charger network supplies reliable information, which isn't the case.

The situation can change so quickly - a 2 charger location with one faulty (but reporting as OK), a car turns up, then another one close behind, and you are looking at a 40 or 80 minute wait. It happens a lot.

Always have a plan A, and a plan B to fall back on. Try to charge earlier in the journey and just do a 'splash and dash' in the time taken for a 'T and P' - it is much faster to charge any EV at the lower end, before the charge rate starts to taper off at the higher charge levels.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
arc

Post by arc »

orrery wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:39 am Try to charge earlier in the journey and just do a 'splash and dash' in the time taken for a 'T and P' - it is much faster to charge any EV at the lower end, before the charge rate starts to taper off at the higher charge levels.
To add to orrery's comment, here is a graph of the (current) charge curve for the Enyaq:

As you can see, if you have the DC fastcharging pack, an iV60 charges to 30% at full speed and then gradually drops. For an iV80 the drop starts at roughly 35%.
80 Loft - Energy Blue - 19" Wheels - 125kW DC - Convenience Basic - Assisted Drive Basic - Parking Plus - Ordered Oct '21 - Build week w52 '21 - Build completed w17 '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post