I think I understand Ionity and Skoda PowerPass 🤞

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Dad

Post by Dad »

Hi. We’ve just signed up for the PowerPass Charge Faster (free for 12 months). At the end of the process it said something about not being able to use public chargers until the RFID card was paired? I’m assuming we can use the service straight away with the iOS app.. or do we really need to wait for the physical card? Picking our car up this weekend from Scotland and driving it to Berkshire/Surrey border via a family and friends visit in the North West.

Another question.. I was watching a YouTube video last week posted by an a Enyaq owner and I think it was implying that the faster charging stations (100Kwh++) would only work if the charge in the car was very low? I’m hoping I misunderstood! My assumption is that super faster charging will operate at 100Kwh irrespective of how much charge is in the car.. I.e. around 50% etc?

Thanks!
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514

Perchede

Post by Perchede »

You need the card number which needs to be associated with your account (Paired).
The Enyaq will control the power it taken from Fast DC chargers and will reduce power as the charge increases to maximise battery life.
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
RichR

Post by RichR »

All lithium batteries accept charge more when they’re less full. Have a look at when you charge your phone, it’ll go from 20% to 50% in a few minutes, but to get from 70% to 90% will take way longer.

So there a charging curve that shows how much current (and hence power) a battery can accept without damage and the battery management system will limit it to this.

For most EVs, you’ll only get the maximum charge rate below 20%, then it’ll drop as you get towards 80% when it really drops off. Hence why you shouldn’t generally charge over 80% on public chargers because it’ll take a very long time to add not a lot of charge.

Have a watch of Bjørn Nyland’s 1000km YouTube videos. He attempts to drive 1000km in as little time as possible (at the speed limit). The trick is to reduce the time spent charging. And to do that he runs it down to 5% or lower, and only charges to about 40-50%. That means the car charges as fast as it can and puts in enough to get to another rapid charger. More stops maybe, but five short stops often means more time actually moving than one long stop charging to 100%.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

It's a steep learning curve for those of coming from 10-year-old ICE cars, to brand new EVs. Charging curves, different RFID cards, etc. I've attached an example charging curve for the 80 (plagiarised from https://ev-database.uk/car/1280/Skoda-Enyaq-iV-80). I couldn't find one for the 60, but it will be similar:

Clipboard02.jpg

I found it quite easy to sign up for Powerpass - folks on this forum have posted all the things you need to know. Download the app, enter your vehicle details, if you've got the faster charging it will offer you the subscription for reduced costs for a year, then they send you a credit card-sized RFID card in the post a week or two later. You then tell the app the number on the card, and the app and card are paired.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
Dad

Post by Dad »

Thanks guys.

@Rich..Bjorn’s experiment reminds me of a F1 race and which strategy is best!

I guess the issue with going below 10% battery on a motorway run is that if the charger is out of order (or a long queue)... you could have an issue. When I was looking at zap map for my route I was looking at charging points where there was another option not too far down the road! Now I need to factor in the battery level too.
IV60, quartz grey, suite trim, regulus smoke grey alloys, parking basic, climate basic, 100KW charging.

Octopus Referral code to receive £50 credit
Use this link https://share.octopus.energy/clean-dingo-514
Or referral code clean-dingo-514
RichR

Post by RichR »

Yes, he does have the advantage of being in Norway where there are way more charge locations than the UK. But we’re getting there.
Personally I think I’ll get a bit nervous below 20% and want to have at least three potential places nearby. I know we’ve all got 3 years breakdown cover which will transport to a working charger, but they could take hours to happen.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post