B mode

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
KrisN

Post by KrisN »

Hi all

Question on driving modes: I have seen a few posts where people have mentioned always driving in b mode.

As my intro to the car was the lease delivery driver telling me that he had not seen one of these before... I have just used the auto d mode so far.

I also noted that in the manual it says to use B, but not how or why

What are the advantages of b mode and how is driving style impacted by it

Cheers
Kris

Wotters

Post by Wotters »

Does this help

Enyaq iV60. Ordered July 10th, 2021
Moon White, 20” Vega Wheels. Eco suite. Chrome package
Comfort seat basic. Climate basic, Light & view basic, Drive Sport basic,
Covenience +, Assisted drive +, Parking +, Infotainment +, Sunroof
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Great question - I was about to post something similar.

I only got my Enyaq last week and immediately jumped into a habit of using B mode all the time. It becomes intuitive very quickly, as it brakes for you to a large degree, when pulling up to traffic lights etc (obviously you need to be ready to brake if necessary)

But based upon what one of the forum members mentioned about B mode not actually being the most efficient, today I switched to the other option (just ‘D’).

It coasts a lot more in this mode - a bit like driving a manual car with the clutch down - which for down hill sections or even flat sections, it does seem to roll on for quite a while without using any power.

I haven’t played with it enough to determine which is most efficient - coasting where possible, or more aggressive regen in B mode.

Will be interesting to see what others think.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

B mode puts regenerative braking on full. If you don't have paddles then it's your main way of doing this. I've never used B mode in four years in my Outlander as I've got paddles which I use to increase the regen to level 5 when I want to slow for a junction without braking for example, then return it to level 2 when I'm almost stopped.

However generally the Enyaq's automatic regen mode is really good, so you don't need to manually change the regen strength with the paddles or B mode. But it's personal taste - some people like having more 'engine braking' and some don't. If you're finding you're having to brake a lot (ie descending hills in traffic) then increasing the regen by using the paddles or B mode can make life easier if the auto mode isn't holding you at the speed you'd like.

The automatic mode uses map data and camera/radar information to decide on what regen level to use. If you've got a clear straight road it reduces it to minimum as rolling without resistance is more energy efficient. But if there's a car ahead it increases it, more if the car is close, so you have more control (like changing down a gear or two in a manual). Same if you're approaching a roundabout, corner or a junction (if you indicate, it knows from the map if there's a side road). So you end up gaining a bit of charge and also don't need to waste energy by using the brakes as much.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
KrisN

Post by KrisN »

Thanks for all the responses, really useful.

So, at the moment, I drive in D mode and planning my braking ahead so I don't see the blue regen line max out. I also drive on ACC as much of the time as, I can, so Enyaq does the braking for me in that mode - is this effectively B mode?

I think what you are telling me is that when not on ACC, I can experiment with B mode or the flappy paddles to pretty much avoid touching the brakes at all?

Thanks

One other question - has anyone tested what the range benefits are of D mode normal vs eco?
metalmadhammer

Post by metalmadhammer »

I started using d mode for the 1st month or so then changed to b mode and I didn't notice a difference in efficiency, if there was it was in favour of b mode.
I live in Yorkshire so very hilly and I find it much more comfortable to coast down hills in b mode rather than messing with the paddles.
Genrally speaking, I feel safer in B mode.
Enyaq 80 Suite, Race Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, 20" Vega Alloys and a silly overpriced rubber mat for the boot.
orrery

Post by orrery »

B mode will regen for you. You can drive more efficiently by not using regen, but it doesn't mean that you will drive more efficiently.

I'm anally retentive about driving efficiently in the Leaf, but recently I've been using e-pedal (1 pedal driving with no creep), and that seems to deliver pretty much the same economy. In truth, I'm still controlling the level of regen manually with the throttle.

So, use whatever you feel most comfortable with.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

metalmadhammer wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:07 am I started using d mode for the 1st month or so then changed to b mode and I didn't notice a difference in efficiency, if there was it was in favour of b mode.
I live in Yorkshire so very hilly and I find it much more comfortable to coast down hills in b mode rather than messing with the paddles.
Genrally speaking, I feel safer in B mode.

Yes, “safer” is a good description. I tried sticking with D mode and coasting yesterday but the car feels much heavier to brake. B mode really helps with stopping these 2500 kg beasts !
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
MichaelEC

Post by MichaelEC »

When the roads are covered with snow/ice it is difficult to get the braking right. Using B drive should allow far safer slowing with little braking required.
MarkSalmon

Post by MarkSalmon »

I have a 60 with flappy paddles so can tune the level of regen when in D mode but although I've tried it a few times I find it really fiddly as the paddles only work after you've lifted your foot off the accelerator and as soon as you touch that or the brakes then the level of regen returns to zero. So my wife and I drive almost all the time in B mode. It took a little getting used to and does not feel quite as natural as D mode and while the automatic regen in D mode is quite good it is very noticeable that in D mode one is using the foot brake a whole lot more. In B mode if you're not in a hurry you rarely need to touch the brakes. I cannot believe that it is recouping as much energy in D mode as in B mode. One more thing I've noticed, after 5000 miles, is that there is no brake dust on any of the rims. Less environmental pollution.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post