Why should you not charge to 100% permanently?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
ricky10
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:28 am

Post by ricky10 »

That advice has nothing in it about safety is it.

From the very first sentence it’s about preserving battery longevity

User avatar
Activ8
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:21 am

Post by Activ8 »

Agreed.
However you are being advised to use the 100% charged battery energy immediately, you plan to use it. You're requested to use the energy immediately?

Why?
Its safe and stable - right?
Could be to only reduce warranty claims ....

How exactly would a manufacturer convey battery safety to its consumers . Surely its a fine balancing act of the marketing headlines to sell cars to a proportionally sceptical public?
New Owner -
'24 White Coupe 85X Sportline+ 20" Taurus
Flexible Octopus, Ohme Home Pro on order.
Software : 4.1
ricky10
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:28 am

Post by ricky10 »

The more time battery stays at 100% charge the likely the damage is done to the battery.

Again it has nothing to do with safety.

Not sure how many times it takes for you to sink this in - SoC does not influence safety. If a battery decides yo go into a runaway chemical reaction low SoC will not stop it nor will high SoC encourage it. Just get that utter crap out of your mind and learn the truth about battery management instead of reading Red Top FUD
User avatar
Activ8
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:21 am

Post by Activ8 »

Red Top FUD - ouch , thats a low blow! LOL
Genuine apologies if my "persistence" is winding you up.

Happy to learn about the battery management, any suggested reading lists. Do you have the specs of the E78 / LG Chem NCM712 cells?

Does the Enyaq switch off the regen function over a specified charge state?
New Owner -
'24 White Coupe 85X Sportline+ 20" Taurus
Flexible Octopus, Ohme Home Pro on order.
Software : 4.1
Walter Eagle
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Post by Walter Eagle »

Activ8 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Walter Eagle wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:09 pm
Activ8 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:20 am Safety - the main reason is safety.
A fully charged battery "sat" on the drive is apparently many times more dangerous or unsafe according to Škoda. Better used and drawn down.
Whilst the cars safety features would contain any instability the easiest way to control the energy storage safely , is simply not to fully charge.
So, by the same argument, ICE drivers shouldn't fill their tanks?
If the safety issue is dependent on energy density (the amount of energy contained within a car-sized volume) thereferore ... what?

(I nearly wrote about the comparison and contrast between chemical energy and electrical energy. Oops. But then I remembered. Batteries hold chemical energy too. They're not capacitors, which do hold elelctrical energy.)
Appreciate the reply.
Surely the comparison only makes comparative sense if you maxxed out and brimmed the fuel tank?
Then the external factors acting on both energy stores could be compared for safety?
But the energy capacity of an ICE tank is vastly greater than that of a puny Enyaq battery. Easily double. A fully-charged 100% battery in summer will take you, let's be really optimistic, 250 miles. I had a Karoq on loan from my dealer today, and at ¾-full indication, it was estimating 450 miles range. Batteries are nowhere near as efficient at storing energy as hydrocabon bonds.

So my point returns, if the reason for not charging to 100% is safety, based on energy density, then the same argument has to be applied to ICE.
It isn't, therefore I think the original 'if' must be incorrect?
Walter Eagle
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Post by Walter Eagle »

ricky10 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:13 pm The more time battery stays at 100% charge the likely the damage is done to the battery.

Again it has nothing to do with safety.

Not sure how many times it takes for you to sink this in - SoC does not influence safety. If a battery decides yo go into a runaway chemical reaction low SoC will not stop it nor will high SoC encourage it. Just get that utter crap out of your mind and learn the truth about battery management instead of reading Red Top FUD
Er, yeah. My thoughts exactly. Maybe not my choice of words. But you got your point across!
Walter Eagle
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Post by Walter Eagle »

Activ8 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:30 am Red Top FUD - ouch , thats a low blow! LOL
Genuine apologies if my "persistence" is winding you up.

Happy to learn about the battery management, any suggested reading lists. Do you have the specs of the E78 / LG Chem NCM712 cells?

Does the Enyaq switch off the regen function over a specified charge state?
I'm not sure about 'switching off' as such. I don't believe so.
However, any charging operation, whether 7kW domestic, 150kW commercial, or 250W regen, becomes progressively less effective as the battery state of charge rises.
In all of these cases, an empty battery will charge best/fastest. The graph of charge rate vs. SoC begins to flatten out (guess what - most noticeably above about 80%!)
So a trickle feed from regen will be almost imperceptible at high SoC.

Now then, the next bit is supposition ...
There is still resistance present at high SoC, so even though the charge from regen does not get efficiently used, there should still be a dynamic effect on the car's driving behaviour.
I would hope this is the case, rather than find I'm relying on the regen paddles to slow me and the car cruises merrily on!
Dorsetandy
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Post by Dorsetandy »

I rarely charge my Enyaq to 100% and then only when I’m going on a long trip or recharging on that trip. I do notice charging to 80% and then leaving the car during hot weather that the SOC often increases to 81%, would this occur if charged to 100% and then left at this SOC in hot weather? Sure the battery management systems would cope, but as I’m keeping the car prefer to follow Skoda’s advice. I don’t have any such concerns with my Tesla fitted with an LFP battery - Tesla recommends charging to 100% at least weekly and in practice always charge to 100%. Would quite like an Enyaq 50/60 with an LFP battery that could be charged to 100% all the time.
IV60 Quartz Grey, suite, panoramic sunroof, parking basic, climate plus pack, comfort seat basic, drive sport, chrome pack, transport pack, assisted drive plus and 20” Vega wheels. ME3.7 upgrade.
Walter Eagle
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Post by Walter Eagle »

Dorsetandy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:41 pm I do notice charging to 80% and then leaving the car during hot weather that the SOC often increases to 81%
Well known quantum mechanical phenomenon. Electrons swell as they get hotter, hence the charge takes up more room in the battery.
ricky10
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:28 am

Post by ricky10 »

Walter Eagle wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:23 pm
ricky10 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:13 pm The more time battery stays at 100% charge the likely the damage is done to the battery.

Again it has nothing to do with safety.

Not sure how many times it takes for you to sink this in - SoC does not influence safety. If a battery decides yo go into a runaway chemical reaction low SoC will not stop it nor will high SoC encourage it. Just get that utter crap out of your mind and learn the truth about battery management instead of reading Red Top FUD
Er, yeah. My thoughts exactly. Maybe not my choice of words. But you got your point across!
I have not come across any mainstream media that reports EV in an unbiased way (anti EV bias) Any red tops always dramatise EV FUD.

The usual FUD a few years ago is battery degradation (as the result of crappy Nissan Leaf BMS) but then Tesla shown them to be complete FUD.

Recently it is charging infrastructure and how EV will cripple the national grid which are all again FUD. If everyone has EV and able to charge at home and have V2G capability, it will actually prove to save a significantly amount of infrastructural spend on the national grid.

Now the latest FUD is on depreciation and insurance cost.
Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post