Skoda PowerPass and charging costs

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
dlennard21

Post by dlennard21 »

Hi all

I've had the Powerpass card for 2 months.

I'm on Charge Faster £8/mth until 29Apr24, with £0.43 DC and £0.31 Ionity kWh rates

Current PowerPass tarriffs appear to have shot up. On their website I can see thevCharge Faster at £14/mth , with £0.66DC and £0.44 Ionity kWh rates.

This 50% increase in prices takes consumption costs to the same as diesel, and unless there is a change is what I will roll to next year.

Or have I made a mistake?

Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Owning an EV only makes sense if most charging at home, and better still with off peak rates. 2.5p a mile for most of my trips, whereas previous diesel was 19p a mile and diesel is a lot cheaper now so maybe 15p a mile.
If I charge away from home it is 57p a kWh on an off peak open to all charger near my daughters home in Cambridge. That’s about 17p a mile, and others charge even more, some at £1 a kWh! That’s 30p a mile!!!!
I only at the moment charge away from home on the long trip to Cambridge and back to Leeds, and now take my granny charger as cheaper on her domestic rate although slower, but we managed to recharge fully over several days, so about 10p a mile.
The charging sites are too expensive to justify an EV if you can only use them, even with a subscription to reduce costs
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
xioxyx

Post by xioxyx »

All depends on your use case though - it’s still viable at 44p per kWh on IONity if most your long distance miles are covered that way. I’m on the same current Powerpass tariff as OP and even combined with an expensive home charge at 32p per kWh at home it’s still significantly cheaper than petrol. If my use pattern is the same in a years time I’d still consider IONity as I’m able to use it for most of my away from home charging. With any luck though, the energy prices will be cheaper by then.
Chrisvh

Post by Chrisvh »

Word of warning about Powerpass. I took a charge faster subscription after th3 first year. I have now sold the car but Powerpass refuse to allow cancellation of the subscription. Apparently this was in the conditions I agreed to. Be sure to fully read the conditions before signing up.
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

xioxyx wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:42 pm All depends on your use case though - it’s still viable at 44p per kWh on IONity if most your long distance miles are covered that way. I’m on the same current Powerpass tariff as OP and even combined with an expensive home charge at 32p per kWh at home it’s still significantly cheaper than petrol. If my use pattern is the same in a years time I’d still consider IONity as I’m able to use it for most of my away from home charging. With any luck though, the energy prices will be cheaper by then.
There is only one IONITY site near me in Yorkshire and I will never use it as so much cheaper at home overnight.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

As above majority of public chargers even with promos are useless if actually trying to save money . It shouldn’t be like this but unfortunately it is
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

Chrisvh wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:21 pm Word of warning about Powerpass. I took a charge faster subscription after th3 first year. I have now sold the car but Powerpass refuse to allow cancellation of the subscription. Apparently this was in the conditions I agreed to. Be sure to fully read the conditions before signing up.
Although I still have my car I had similar issues with them invoicing after I have attempted to cancel. I’ve just refused to pay the invoices for past 7 months and not used the device.
Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
dlennard21

Post by dlennard21 »

Right, many thanks for those replies. Today's who say that use case doesn't make sense without home charging i disagree. There are several 150 kW charges within 10 minutes drive of me and using my powerpass card I can buy those electrons for 43 p. With the car averaging 4m/kwh then that is equivalent to admit 60p per litre diesel.

My actual question which no one appears to be able to answer is is it indeed the case that powerpass's prices are now up by 50% football new and or rolling subscriptions?
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

At 11p a mile that is about equivalent to a diesel car doing 56 mpg.. about the same as many you see on road . Slightly better than my 190ps tdi Karoq which averaged 45mpg, but many diesels can get better than 56mpg.?
leelazer203

Post by leelazer203 »

I cant charge at home ( I live in a flat) so for me that price change is going to double my running costs and it will work out more expensive than running my previous diesel vehicle. I'm quite surprised at the increase as domestic electricity rates are starting to come down. That's a real issue for me with 2.5 years left to go on my Enyaq. My company only allows fully electric or plug in hybrids as company cars so I may be losing that to go back to a diesel or petrol.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post