2020/21 rear suspension

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

Today I rotated the wheels ‘front to back’ on my Enyaq IV60, I did this in the aim of getting maximum mileage from the tyres, the car’s done 5500 miles so its time I did it.

Having the wheels off the car I could see that a part of the rear suspension looked damaged. It’s a rubberised subframe to body mounting on the nearside at the back end of the car, please view the pictures.

To me it doesn’t look crucial, it could be damage done during assembly and the plastic housing containing the rubber insert might not be cracked all the way through. But I wonder! could this be contributing to the clunking, clonking, clattering and rumbling rear suspension problem that's been complained about by some owners who received cars made in 2020/21 like me. For sure Skoda knows the answer! but Skoda’s staying mum on this!

While looking around I noticed that the rear suspension spring is glued to its plastic mount where it sits on the suspension arm, I had read about glued springs on this forum before and thought how weird! Well on my car this glues failed in its bonding with a discernable tear in it. I wonder if this also might be contributing to the noise and vibration that owners have been complaining about since 2020, I doubt that it is. I think the glue’s there simply to hold the spring in place and upright until the ‘suspension assembly unit’ meets its ‘body’ on the assembly line when the spring will then reside in compression under the weight of the body of the car.

If only there was a definitive solution to this problem of noisy and uncomfortable rear suspension, I’m sure lots of people would be happy to pay for it to be fixed and out of their own pockets, I would and possibly I could do the work myself after purchase of required components to complete the job, but unfortunately there’s no solution disseminated.

So my question to the forum is this... Do you think Skoda is afraid to acknowledge the complaints from Enyaq owners who insist that their car’s have defective rear suspension and reason being that if Skoda did so, it could result in a class-action lawsuit against Skoda and if Skoda lost, it would mean it would have to pay for every affected car to have its suspension defect corrected? Its no wonder why all the people with noisy rear suspension end up getting fobbed of with the same old excuse “its a characteristic of the car” well its NOT, its just your bad luck chump cuz you've got a 2020/21 Enyaq with a built in suspension defect.

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1566.JPG

Enyaq Iv 60, Velvet Red, 19" Anthracite Wheels, Lounge Interior, Climate Package Basic, Drive Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Tow Bar Preparation.

RichR

Post by RichR »

I've not noticed any issues on mine after 9000 miles - but there are possibly two differences. Firstly it was built in November 2021, so possibly a known issue had been resolved by then? And secondly it's a Sportline, so has different suspension (slightly shorter and with progressive springs) - so maybe the issue isn't present on the Sport suspension option.

Will see if I can get underneath and compare though.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Coming up to 20,000 miles if not already there on my Sept 2021 built / November 2021 delivered 80 Loft with standard suspension. Apart from the slightly harsher ride that 21’s give, I’ve not noticed any clonking. I’m not sure how much of that suspension part is viewable with the wheels on, but I’ll take a look later.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
IanEV

Post by IanEV »

I’m not sure which bit you think is damaged can you mark the photo up in some way? Here’s my image from the same area from Easter time.

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

Ordered August 2021, collected 28/4
iV60 Loft, v3.0 software,
Velvet red, pano roof,
basic parking and convenience pack
100kw upgraded free of charge
Podpoint home charger
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

I think Tamworth Pig is referring to this part, but I’m not sure either what’s “broken”. Yours looks the same I think?

DDD87A8D-4937-4AC0-8ADF-E6777CCDC7DD.jpeg

iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
white67

Post by white67 »

Mine was built late 2021 and creaks a fair bit. Otherwise doesn't appear to have any problems.
I also rotated my tyres (11500 miles) to squeeze a summer out of them - I think I'll reach maybe 14000 before I chicken out and save myself some penalty points!
When doing the tyres I didn't notice anything untoward in the areas discussed.
Enyaq iV 60 Suite, Race Blue Metallic, 21" Betria Alloys, Tow Bar Prep, Comfort Seat Basic - with Heated Seats added, Convenience Pack Plus,
Drive Pack Basic, Light & View Pack Basic, Parking Pack Plus, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ian's car appears to have far tighter clearances between the rubber parts of the mount and the metalwork which is certainly interesting...
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post