Auto locking

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Can the car lock with keys inside?
Odd occurrence yesterday. I unlocked car and opened boot with key fob to load shopping into boot. Whilst doing this my son opened door and sat in front passenger seat. I closed the boot with the boot lid button and went to get in to drivers seat. As boot shut the car locked with my son inside. Fortunately I had key in pocket.
Would that have happened with key in boot by mistake?
Would my son have been able to unlock car from inside and get out?
Kessy was disabled as well hence pulling on drivers door handle did not open it even with key in pocket.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display

HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Could your son have touched the lock button inside? (how old is he?)

I think there is a mode where the car is deadlocked - ie cannot be opened from inside as well as from outside.
It might even be the default locking mode with the key fob. But as the car locked without the fob, it might not have been deadlocked
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
RichR

Post by RichR »

In theory it's meant to detect if the keyfob is inside the car and not lock - but in practice it depends where it is as to whether it is. The door handle unlock does get confused sometimes if you lock and unlock in quick succession, but the buttons on the fob should be more reliable (assuming it's outside the car).

I too suspect he may have pressed the lock button (next to the hazard warning light button) which would have deadlocked the doors - pressing it again obviously would unlock them. The doors lock once the car has reached about 10mph too, but this clearly didn't happen here :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

13 years ago when my son was a toddler, I’d very foolishly given him the keys to distract him while I loaded the boot (Audi A4). As soon as I closed the boot, of course he pressed Lock on the keyfob, locking himself in / me out of the car and then he proceeded to drop the keys out of his reach (he was already strapped in). Warm day of course and the windows were shut. Luckily I did have my mobile on me and frantically tried to get hold of my builder to ask him to drive over with a spare set. He didn’t answer at first and I was very close to smashing a window open. All fine in the end when the builder called me back and I was able to tell him where the keys were. Probably around a 20 minute ordeal in the end, but absolutely a lesson learned. I never let him play with the keys, after that experience.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
RichR

Post by RichR »

One of my Renault 5 GT Turbos had no external door key locks (after an attempted theft left them trashed, the previous owner removed them and welded plates over then skimmed and resprayed the doors for a clean look), so relied on the remote central locking (infrared back in 1989!). However, if the car battery was flat, they wouldn't open. So I had a technique of either opening the boot (which still had a key lock) and climbing through, or gently pulling one of the rear windows out (hinged, popout style) and feeding a coat hanger past the rubber seal to hook a front door handle :D

Obviously a modern car like the Enyaq doesn't have such easy ways to gain access, which is why it's always worth knowing where both your keyfobs are. Even if the 12V battery fails, you can still use the manual key to unlock a door using the hidden keylock in the handle.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Pict

Post by Pict »

Yes!

Occasionally when we are out and Mrs Pict wants to leave her bag behind I will hide it in the boot. The bag always has her key inside and I have never had a problem with locking the car using my key. Presumably the alarm is armed as well.

Whether because I am making a deliberate act to lock the car as opposed to it being accidental makes a difference I do not know
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

Could your son have touched the lock button inside? (how old is he?)

My son is 36!! And didn’t touch the locking button.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Blaineyboy

Post by Blaineyboy »

I once left my keys in the centre console and went in the house. Two minutes later I realised where I left the keys and ran back and fortunately it hadn’t locked itself.
Ordered Mid Nov 2021
Build week 33
Delivered Mid October 2022)
Enyaq IV 60 loft
Arctic Silver
Drive Sports Package Basic
Climate Package Basic
Parking Package Basic (free upgrade to intelligent Park Plus)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post