Reduced charging current - anyone know if it should always be on?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
GerryM

Post by GerryM »

Hi - just got my Enyaq iv80 and its going well so far, though still cant connect to MySkoda even after 4 days...The dealer suggested to always have "Reduced charging current" set in the Charging area on infotainment, but when I did my first charge at a public station it charged at about half the speed it should have. Anyone know if we should keep this setting on all the time, or its fine to take it off if we want to charge faster? Nothing in the e-Manual (which is actually much less useful than this Forum!)

BioHzrd

Post by BioHzrd »

Only time I would recommend having it in is if you are using a granny charger (13A Plug) any other time I would have it off.
60 Loft, Parking Basic Package, Moon White

I’m a @TentBox Ambassador. Ask me anything about TentBox! 😃

Might work for a well know charging company 😉

Electrician - 18th Edition & 2391-52 Qualified - Over 18 years, so I know what I'm talking about 😂
Perchede

Post by Perchede »

I would only turn it on if I wanted to charge at 25% of charger capacity.
What GSM signal does the car show at home?
IV60 Energy Blue, Loft, Matrix LED Lights, Drive assist+, Parking Assist+, HUD, Transport, Comfort, Tow bar. Schneider EV Link charger, 7000 Govt Grant - France, Delivered June 21.
chillyboy123

Post by chillyboy123 »

I was under the impression that you would only use reduced charging current, if you was using a large amount of electric in your home on other appliances and you have a dumb wall charger.

This reduces the amount going to your car and reduces risk of blowing your main fuse.

This obviously increases the time it will take to charge your car.

If you have a smart wall charger like a Pod Point, the charger would automatically adjust output if needed.

I personally never turn on the reduce charging option since I use a smart wall charger.
Enyaq iV60 - Race Blue with 20” Vega Wheels,
Assisted Drive Package +, Convenience Package +,
Parking Package Basic, Drive Package Basic,
Climate Package Basic, 120 kW charging,
Light and View Package Basic,

Upgraded to ME 3.0
GerryM

Post by GerryM »

Thanks very much to all! I have an 11KW Skoda wall box, and never charge off a regular socket, so should be no problem then. So - I will turn off this option. Thanks again.
DazAutomatic

Post by DazAutomatic »

I guess you might also use reduced charging current if you have solar panels and want to charge mostly from their output.
Enyaq iV 80 Loft, 125 kW DC charging, heat pump, assisted drive+, parking+, convenience basic, towbar prep, ME3.0 update. MyEnergi Zappi v2 charger. Intelligent Octopus, referral code to share £100: share.octopus.energy/sunny-fox-995
orrery

Post by orrery »

GerryM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 am Thanks very much to all! I have an 11KW Skoda wall box, and never charge off a regular socket, so should be no problem then. So - I will turn off this option. Thanks again.
11kW? Do you have a 3 phase supply? Presumably, if you have a standard single phase domestic supply, this will be limited to either 3.5 or 7kW.
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.
Bother7

Post by Bother7 »

DazAutomatic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:57 am I guess you might also use reduced charging current if you have solar panels and want to charge mostly from their output.
Exactly this! I have solar with a 5kW inverter, so if I use my home charger it's always going to pull 2-3kW from the grid as the Inverter can't supply 7kW.

Setting reduced current means I can stay within the Inverter supply and just draw from the panels/battery.

Re the point about using a granny cable - you don't need to turn the reduced current option on then as the car won't try and draw more than the charger is supplying. The granny cable will only supply 2-2.5kW
Pict

Post by Pict »

DazAutomatic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:57 am I guess you might also use reduced charging current if you have solar panels and want to charge mostly from their output.
[thumbs up]

This is the only reason I ever select to reduce the charging current.
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
Brussels

Post by Brussels »

As @chillyboy123 said, you also may need it if for some reason you don't have a load balance circuit in your charger/fuse box.

When I asked for installing a home box, one offer included it and the other not. But I know that if I had my car charging and then my water boiler turned on, it would have blown out the electricity for the whole house, if the charging rate for the car was not reduced. So if you have such a circuit, you will never really need to use it (with the exception of the solar example above).

But as you are using a public charger, the electrical load is the city's problem, not yours.
Reserved demo car at dealership, delivery: 16/02/2023 after 7500 kms
Demo car so no choice. Sunroof, Silver, Suite, crystal face :roll: , HUD, Family Basic, No Travel Assist (only basic) :evil: heat pump :D 19´ wheels

First time EV owner, Belgium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post