Re - overcharge issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
irichardson42

Post by irichardson42 »

Hi I have had an issue and reported to Skoda but no reply,

Have been using various 7kw chargers and car stops charging at the 80% max as the car is set to. But have had some chargers go over the 80%. So at moment until I get this sorted I can’t risk using on a ev tariff to charge during the night in case the car over charges as Skoda and most other manufactures don’t recommend going to 100% unless you need to on occasion.

Will keep informed. Anyone else had this issue?

I have also contacted ev charger brand I have had an issue with

Ian

Paulj1

Post by Paulj1 »

MY understanding was that charging at a high DC current the car limits the charge rate over 80% because it can't balance the cells and risk over heating, the car protects itself. Using a lower kw charger is fine up to 100%.

Where does it say that going to 100% is bad ?
RichR

Post by RichR »

You won't cause any damage charging to 100% at 7kW. Don't worry about it. The 80% recommendation relates to rapid chargers where the battery will get hot and there isn't time for the cells to equalise.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Pict

Post by Pict »

If you are going to 100% and then using it you will not need to worry. The recommendation about going to 100% usually is in regard to then letting the car sit unused for weeks.

We charge Mrs P's MG ZS to 100% every time we use the home charger as we do not have a dual tarrif, the car has no smart charging, the charger has no system for setting a maximum charge and it will be used the next day as grandchildren's taxi or getting to work.

Plug in, charge, drive, not got the inclination to worry about it (if it is going to be a problem it will be gone by then)
60 Lounge, Quartz Grey, 100 kW charging, Tow bar, Sunroof, Comfort Basic, Family Basic, Climate Plus, Convenience Basic, Drive Sport Basic, Assisted Drive Basic, Parking Basic

Mrs PIct has MG ZS EV, so a fully electric household
Miket

Post by Miket »

Yes this is another issue I’ve had the very first time I charged the car, started charging in the low60 % charge and had the car set to 80% looked a few hours latter and the car was 95%, this was on a grannie charger
tomm636

Post by tomm636 »

irichardson42 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 pm Hi I have had an issue and reported to Skoda but no reply,

Have been using various 7kw chargers and car stops charging at the 80% max as the car is set to. But have had some chargers go over the 80%. So at moment until I get this sorted I can’t risk using on a ev tariff to charge during the night in case the car over charges as Skoda and most other manufactures don’t recommend going to 100% unless you need to on occasion.

Will keep informed. Anyone else had this issue?

I have also contacted ev charger brand I have had an issue with

Ian
Ian,

One thing to note that caught me out. There is a default "Stop Charging" % that can be set, and also this can be set for a particular location. If your car recognises its at a particular saved location it will use this setting to override the default.

In my case I told the car to stop at 80% in the default setting, but in my "home" settings (Scroll to bottom) it was set to 90%. Because I was charging at home, it there stopped at 90%.

Now I have both set to 80% it works fine.
Enyaq iV 80 Suite, Quartz Grey, 125 kW DC charging, 20" Vega wheels, Assisted drive pack, Heat pump, Climate pack, Convenience pack, Drive sport pack, Electric Towbar, Family pack plus, Infotainment pack plus, Built Sep 2021

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post