Charging above 80%

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
chorlton-sam

Post by chorlton-sam »

I've got a Zappi and run overnight charges through the Octopus App (IO). When I first got the charger I used the MyEnergi App but it didn't align to the schedule and just keep charging past the 80% limit set on the car. Using the Octopus app resolved this. However, now there is something limiting charge to 80%, even though I've set, via the Skoda app, the limit to 90% (and this is reflected in the car).
I assume something in Myenergi or Octopus is assigning some limit, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else had experience of this?
Thanks

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Is IO controlling the car or charger?

First thing you need to know is nothing will override the in-car setting, at least for the maximum. Think of that as an absolute maximum limit.

The charger and/or IO can stop the charge early. So if its stopping early its got to be a setting on that side.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
chorlton-sam

Post by chorlton-sam »

Thanks Aragorn. The car is set to 90%. IO controls the Zappi. MyEnergi has said that the charger is 'dumb' in the configuration as set up and is fully reliant on IO. There appears to be nothing in either IO or the MyEnergi apps that could restrict the charge to the car, yet everytime it ceases charge at 80%.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Check what the setting is in the car itself - not on the app. Quite often the app will show one thing, but the car another as it hasn't successfully sent the change.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi. I also have a Zappi and tried charging via IO in the past (both Car and charger integration).

If IO controlls the zappi - then its importnant to remember that octopus / zappi has no info on the actual state of charge of your car.

1. Zappi needs to be set in eco+ with no schedules set either in the app or via the website (different to the app) as this may conflict with the IO control.
2. Your car with correct battery size also needs to be set in either the Octopus app as part of the set-up or the myenergi website - I forget which is used - so make sure both is correct.
3. Make sure the IO charge to be added in the octopus app is high enough (so if its set to add 20% only say and your car starts at 60% then of course it would stop at 80%). Set it to add 100%. If 2. is not done properly and it thinks your car has a smaller battery, then 100% of the smaller battery might be only 80% of your cars actual battery and so it would stop.
4. If you want to charge past 80% often, make sure that the "battery care mode" is turned off.
5. Make sure the charging limit in the 'battery range' section of the app is set to 90%/100% as you wish.
6. Make sure the charging limit in the 'Charging location' section of the app is set to 90%/100% as you wish.
chorlton-sam

Post by chorlton-sam »

EnyaqAndy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:42 am Hi. I also have a Zappi and tried charging via IO in the past (both Car and charger integration).

If IO controlls the zappi - then its importnant to remember that octopus / zappi has no info on the actual state of charge of your car.

1. Zappi needs to be set in eco+ with no schedules set either in the app or via the website (different to the app) as this may conflict with the IO control.
2. Your car with correct battery size also needs to be set in either the Octopus app as part of the set-up or the myenergi website - I forget which is used - so make sure both is correct.
3. Make sure the IO charge to be added in the octopus app is high enough (so if its set to add 20% only say and your car starts at 60% then of course it would stop at 80%). Set it to add 100%. If 2. is not done properly and it thinks your car has a smaller battery, then 100% of the smaller battery might be only 80% of your cars actual battery and so it would stop.
4. If you want to charge past 80% often, make sure that the "battery care mode" is turned off.
5. Make sure the charging limit in the 'battery range' section of the app is set to 90%/100% as you wish.
6. Make sure the charging limit in the 'Charging location' section of the app is set to 90%/100% as you wish.
I think you've worked it out for me with your point 6. The car shows 90%, the app limit shows 80%, but I've just looked in Charging Location and that is set to 80% still, I wasn't aware there was a set point there too. How incredibly helpful that you can't just set it once and it is reflected across settings. Thanks for the advice.
RichR

Post by RichR »

As I said - check it in the car, as I've seen it on numerous occasions where setting it in the app doesn't update the car.
You used to be able to set it in either location, and the other updates when the app connects. But it seems to be unreliable since they updated the app a year or so ago.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
chorlton-sam

Post by chorlton-sam »

RichR wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 pm As I said - check it in the car, as I've seen it on numerous occasions where setting it in the app doesn't update the car.
You used to be able to set it in either location, and the other updates when the app connects. But it seems to be unreliable since they updated the app a year or so ago.
The odd thing is though that the car is stating 90%.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

try adjusting the car to 100, then back to 90?

When the car turns off, it should say something like "Charge immediately to 90%" do you see anything else here?
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

For me if the car is at charging location it generally uses the value from the charging location and not the battery range section.

As RichR and Aragon said, checking the car is in theory the best way of doing this by what’s on the goodbye screen. However I am sure, I have had this change to a lower value (that of the charging location) when the car realises it’s at home. I’m sure there is some logic in it but I just change both places from the app and it’s never failed when doing this.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post