Inner Edge Tyre Wear

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
philipstaniford

Post by philipstaniford »

I have a dispute running with Skoda regarding the inner edge tyre wear on my 2023 Enyaq iv 80 Sportline Plus on all 4 tyres and I wondered whether anyone out there can help.

This problem was noted at 11,000 miles by chance because the car went in for an airbag fault. The rear tyres would have failed an MOT and the fronts were close. Apart from the inner edges there were 4 to 5mm across all treads. Because these tyres are big and low profile, you can't see the inner edge without crawling under the car. This car would not have been inspected under a normal inspection schedule for another 6 or even 12 months. By then the tyres could have failed. Skoda UK Customer Service have been hopeless. They say the tyres have worn to a level that would be expected at this mileage and the uneven wear is due to my ‘driving style’ that has knocked all 4 wheels out of alignment. By the way all 4 wheels were misaligned in Toe only. The out of area dealer where I bought the car won’t talk to me.

I have now had all 4 tyres replaced and the alignment corrected at a total cost of £1200. I am gathering information to make a claim for compensation and my early research shows that this problem is not uncommon on the Enyaq. I have seen a TPI issued by the Skoda showing an image of a tyre with bad inner edge wear exactly like mine and giving new dimensions for Toe and Camber adjustment.

I believe there are two possible scenarios:-
1. The car left the factory with badly adjusted wheel alignment in the Toe dimension or,
2. The car left the factory with the wheels aligned to the dimensions Skoda originally set but after the TPI was issued, the software in the wheel alignment machines was updated to the new dimensions. Hence all 4 of my wheels were measured to be out of tolerance.

It is just inconceivable that all 4 wheels would have been knocked out of alignment in Toe adjustment only as a result of ‘driving style’.

Has anyone out there suffered the same problem? Has anyone managed to get any goodwill payments out of Skoda or one of their dealers?
2022 Enyaq iV80+ Sportline delivered end Feb 23. Heat Pump. Zappi 7.5kW. Octopus Intelligent.

Goaty

Post by Goaty »

Hi there - yes, I had a similar experience with the 21” tyres on my Betria alloys. They needed replacing at 17k miles (quite possibly a few thousand miles before this but it was only noticed at 17k that the inner edges had worn down). Disappointing as the rest of the tyre had plenty of life. The tracking (or alignment?) was found to be out. I made a post about it on this forum, but can’t find it !!

Edit: found it:

viewtopic.php?t=1667
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
NDT-inspector

Post by NDT-inspector »

I've had the same problem 🙁

IMG_7786.jpeg

riki1

Post by riki1 »

Just like Tesla

SKODA Enyaq RS Coupe, ( riki1.eu )
RichR

Post by RichR »

Does seem to be an issue on the 21" wheels - not so much on the 20" and 19" ones. My 15,000 mile 20" ones are still evenly worn, down to 5mm across the tread.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

My 19's did the same thing. Bridgestones.

I assumed tracking needing sorting, but fitted 20" wheels with continental tyres and kinda forgot about it, and the 20's havent worn the same way, despite not having the tracking checked or readjusted.

Do you have the TPI number or details? It would be good to see what the new settings are.

Perhaps its a little out and the bridgestones are more susceptible to the issue?
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Phunkinswansea

Post by Phunkinswansea »

Morning Philip,

I am curious if you have got anywhere with this? The same thing has occurred with my Enyaq. All four tyres have worn down to the thread on the inside. The rest of the tyre is fine. It’s in today for replacement tyres at a cost over 1000 pounds. It certainly doesn’t seem right having only done 30000 miles and the mechanic I spoke today said it’s not something that should happen. I’ve asked him to check the geography of the tyres and alignment but this must be a manufacturer fault .

Thanks
Ken3966

Post by Ken3966 »

My vRS is on 7k miles now and rear wheels are wearing evenly. Front tyres are wearing slightly more on outside edge from cornering as I would expect.
20” wheels with Haancook tyres.
Grey vrs coupe with 20” wheels, heat pump, heated windscreen and rear seat, adjustable suspension, Canton sound and head up display
Susans Dad

Post by Susans Dad »

Just to join in on this debate, My Enyaq has the same problem but I have paid to realign the tracking (£60) so hopefully this may solve the problem, even though only 13000 miles on the clock. I was quoted £250 a tyre to replace and fit with the same tyres that came with the 21" wheels from new.
Ordered 21 July 2021 - Enyaq iv 80 , Artic Silver, 21 Betria wheels, Light & view pack +, Infotainment pack +, Assisted drive pack +, Comfort seat pack +, Parking +, Climate pack +, Driving sport pack, Pan roof & now 125kW fast charge
C2atb

Post by C2atb »

I had the same , rears went first without noticing then afterwards being a bit more worried the fronts . I asked skoda and was just fobbed off just like with other problems.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post