Fast charging issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
heki93

Post by heki93 »

Hi Guys, I bought my Skoda Enyaq 60 IV (2022) a month ago here in the UK from a dealership.

I have tried to charge it a couple of times at a public fast charger (150 kW), however, the max charging power was under 50 kW regardless the ambient temperature, the battery temperature and the level of its battery. For example: last weekend there was 15 degrees, I drove the car for about 1.5-2 hours before charging, the battery level was 25% and the charing power was between 30-40 kW and I charged to 80%. At that time and most of the time I was the only one who charged the car at that time at they were Osprey, BP, Ionity chargers.

When the car was handed over the sales person printed out a detailed list of the car's features. It says that my car charging capacity is up to 120 kW. Besides, I downloaded the digital certificate of the car and is says that the capacity is 100 kW.

I understand which circumstances can affect the charging power but I do not understand why it is below 50 kW in my case. I have read many articles online and I was confused if the car's current software version (ME 3.0) supports faster charging or not. At present Skoda website says that ME 3.2 supports this function so I went back to the dealership and asked them to upgrade the software version. First they said that my car was recalled before and they replaced the batteries, fixed other issues and updated the software version however, it was stopped at 75% therefore they need to finish it; update the remaining 25% or update the whole software again. Therefore, they booked the car for 3 days. On the first day I saw in the Skoda app that they tried to charge the car at midday, however, I could not see anything else in the same day afternoon, on the second and third day. Finally I called them and asked a status. They said, that my car is not compatible with the ME 3.2 software version and they can update it if I pay for it. I was very upset and told them that I wo not intend to pay for anything as I bought this car with fast charging function and it is still under warranty. After that I spoked to the Sales Manager who blamed me that I do not charge the car properly as I need to choose the nearest fast charger in the car's satnav, I have to navigate to the charger using the satnav and during this period the car prepares itself for fast charing. There was an argument between us and they wanted to give the car back without any further action. I told them that I do not intend to hand it over before they testing the car and guranatee that it is supports fast charging. They promised a call back next and they planned to send a sales person to a fast charger to test the car. After this call the service called me and I was told that they updated the software to ME 3.2 (strange) for free. No one called me next day so today I contacted them again and the said that the sale person could not charge the car faster and they reported the issue to Skoda and I can pick up the car tomorrow.

My questions are the following:

- Is there any one who experienced the same issue fast charging issue with their car?
- Did Skoda solved the problem?
- Is that true that fast charging is working only if I choose the car's satnav to navigate to the charger? If so, what kind of pre-conditioning happens during the trip?
- Is ME 3.0 supporting fast charging or only ME 3.2?
- Is that true that my 2022 Skoda is not compatible with ME 3.2? If so, what can be the problem?

Any other advice what can I do in this case? I paid a fortune for the car is is not fit for purpose in its current state. I asked the manager what are my rights if I want to give the car back and ask refund. Is there any one else who returned the car and got refund?

Thank you for your help in advance.

-----UPDATE-----
Today I pick up my car from Skoda dealership and turned out that ME 3.0 is still installed on the car and they could not install 3.2. They contacted Skoda UK IV engineer and it was confirmed again that the car should support fast charging. All details for this specific car says, it support fast charging. Finally, they reported the situation to Skoda UK and that is it. They could not do anything else to resolve my problem.

So I started the return and refund process with them which can take up to 8+ weeks and they wil investigate the whole situation involving a third party company.

However, I am not happy at all. I really like this car, its features, its comfort, it is so sad that fast charging is not working at all. I am very uncertain if I want to keep the car or not but we will see at the end of the investigation.
Last edited by heki93 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrowSysE243

Post by CrowSysE243 »

heki93 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:53 pm
- Is that true that fast charging is working only if I choose the car's satnav to navigate to the charger? If so, what kind of pre-conditioning happens during the trip?
With my car it is not necessary to use teh satnave to get the car to prepare for ultra rapid charging. I have never used the satnav to navigate, except when exploring the features, and have achieved peak charging rates over 50kW on over half my 10 rapid and ultra rapid charges, using Gridserve and Ionity, although the average has only been above 50kW the 3 times when I used Ionity. The best average was 97.6kW charging from 26% to 80% with an ambient temperature of 12degrees a starting battery temperature of 16.5 and finishing temperature of 34.5. The peak charging rate was at least 110kW. The average rapid charge rate has been 42.9 once, 45.9 once and otherwise between 46.5 and 48 but these were starting at higher residual charge levels because we were stopping anyway and there were chargers which were not in use.
iV80 Loft, 19"Regulus, Energy Blue, Maxx Pack, Travel Pack, Heat pump. Order Jul22. BuildWk17-23. UK WE23/6. Available 30/6/23. Collected 3/7/23 Untethered PodPoint. Third Rock mode 2 charger with Tough Leads modular extension lead and adapters.
comment23

Post by comment23 »

You should get more than 30-40kW starting from 25% unless the battery is very cold. But don’t expect to see the 100kW+ speeds too often, and certainly not as an average for a 20-80% charge.

I also have an iV60 that came with ME3.2 and at ~10°C, starting from 20%, I would expect to get starting speeds of around 60-80kW, tailing off fairly linearly to ~40kW by around 70-80%.

There are many factors that can influence charging speeds but your speeds do seem a little lower than I’d expect.
Electric since December 2022
heki93

Post by heki93 »

CrowSysE243 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:11 pm
heki93 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:53 pm
With my car it is not necessary to use teh satnave to get the car to prepare for ultra rapid charging. I have never used the satnav to navigate, except when exploring the features, and have achieved peak charging rates over 50kW on over half my 10 rapid and ultra rapid charges, using Gridserve and Ionity, although the average has only been above 50kW the 3 times when I used Ionity. The best average was 97.6kW charging from 26% to 80% with an ambient temperature of 12degrees a starting battery temperature of 16.5 and finishing temperature of 34.5. The peak charging rate was at least 110kW. The average rapid charge rate has been 42.9 once, 45.9 once and otherwise between 46.5 and 48 but these were starting at higher residual charge levels because we were stopping anyway and there were chargers which were not in use.
Thank you for your comment. I think it is a nonsense that I need to use the car's satnav before I charge the car, however, I found the same info here on Enyaqforums. So I do not know if it is a nonsense or not. How can I see the battery temprature? On the charges's display? Sorry, I am very new in this topic.
heki93

Post by heki93 »

comment23 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:57 am You should get more than 30-40kW starting from 25% unless the battery is very cold. But don’t expect to see the 100kW+ speeds too often, and certainly not as an average for a 20-80% charge.

I also have an iV60 that came with ME3.2 and at ~10°C, starting from 20%, I would expect to get starting speeds of around 60-80kW, tailing off fairly linearly to ~40kW by around 70-80%.

There are many factors that can influence charging speeds but your speeds do seem a little lower than I’d expect.
Thank you for your comment. Is there any option or method to precondition the battery before fast charging? Like in Tesla as they have a function in the infotaintment to do this.
comment23

Post by comment23 »

heki93 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:14 pm Thank you for your comment. Is there any option or method to precondition the battery before fast charging? Like in Tesla as they have a function in the infotaintment to do this.
No precondition option in these modules, although the updated version for 2024 apparently does have this. I think it’s been confirmed that this WILL NOT be retroactively available to older models.
Electric since December 2022
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

Test your charging at a Tesla site tbh. More reliable than most public charger in terms of charging speeds.

My iV 80 I got 90kw at an ultrafast charger which was a grid serve hub twined with a load of Tesla super chargers.

It was warmer condition and I didn’t start the charge at low SOC and went to 100%.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

The main issue is you have currently no idea if the limitation is the car or the charger. Many chargers here in the UK are useless and 30-40kw from them is the norm.

Some advertise higher speeds but dont deliver due to faults or capacity issues.

Have you tried a range of different chargers from different brands?
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
peters_enyaq

Post by peters_enyaq »

Hi, not sure how you have got on with this issue.
As mentioned before, if you have an open Tesla supercharger close by, then use that to test charging speed as these are generally best.
Best of luck as it is generally a very good car but let down by slow charging speeds.
Present: iv60 Suite Race Blue
On order: Coupe 85X Sportline Plus Race Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post