Enyaq 80 used to charge at 11kw but now only 7kw

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
arronharden

Post by arronharden »

Hi,

We've had a Zappi charger for about a year now charging a Skoda Enyaq 80 without issue. As we've a domestic 3 phase electric supply the Zappi has been charging the car at the expected 11kw. However since last month it's only been charging at 7kw and I'm at a loss as to why. As far as I know no settings have changed nor firmware updates applied during that period, either to the Zappi or to the car.

I've checked the charge settings in the car and there's nothing obviously enabled to limit the charge rate, and definitely nothing we would have changed recently. It's now 'summer' time in the UK, could something in the car decide the ambient temperature is too high and throttle down the charging current? Not that it's been particuarly warm recently but just trying to think of possible causes.

It's possible there is something going on in the Zappi itself, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks for any advice/pointers etc.

myenergi-graph-energy-usage-01062023-30062023.png

RichR

Post by RichR »

I guess the thing to try is to see what it does on another 11kW AC charger - perhaps at a local supermarket? That would help confirm if it the issue is with the car, cable or Zappi.

Obviously make sure you're using a cable that's wired for 11kW, as some are only single phase so only 7kW. The one that comes with the Enyaq is 3-phase capable for example,
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
arronharden

Post by arronharden »

Just thought I'd close the loop on this one in case it helps others in the future. Turning the Zappi off and back on again did the trick and last night it charged the car at 11kw again.

I think this is particular to the 3 phase variant of the Zappi charger, but a power cut seems to have been the cause (you can see it on the chart I attached before - 13th Jun). I think when the power came on there must have been some delay across the 3 phases feeding the Zappi which caused it to switch into single phase mode. Once I turned the Zappi off and on again it started back up in 3 phase mode. It's not particularly obvious if it's in single or 3 phase mode if you don't know where to look, but at least if it happens again I know what to do.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Interesting to know. I've just got a single phase Zappi (and I think it's superb, way nicer than my old PodPoint), and haven't noticed anything odd when power cuts happen so far. But I do know that a firmware update has meant that my custom 'waiting for surplus' LED light colour has now taken effect after a recent power cut :)
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post