ME3 upgrade stopped due to aftermarket towbar

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
PhilHolmes

Post by PhilHolmes »

They are an hour away so not horrendous, will likely do it after the summer holidays though so we can use the bike rack with my kids are off school

Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

This happened to me too. The fix was to get the original Towbar's installer to come out to me and recode my 'BRINK' tow-bar (which took place and it was a success) and at a cost of £25 'to me', but only because I'm a previous Brink customer. I'm also aware that it'll be £50 for a Skoda dealer or anyone else who isn't an original customer of Brink.

Think about this... how far can this SHIT go?

I remember the computer and software 'UPDATE WARS' that went on for decades and at huge cost in billions and billions to us all as we tried to keep up with the advancing technology? Isn't it all starting all over again? but this time it's 'CARS' and after all cars are tens of times more expensive than tiddly-widdly computers that needed constant updating and modernising and replacing back in the day? Sling 'em in the bin, just go down to PC-World or Sainsbury's or Curry's or Kingfisher or Argos (ain't these all the same company with same share holders and Ezecs and so on and so on anyway?). Well now its CARS, next it'll be our very homes that we can't afford to live in anymore because we can't pay for all the new high tech software updates and improvements required for under the law .
Enyaq Iv 60, Velvet Red, 19" Anthracite Wheels, Lounge Interior, Climate Package Basic, Drive Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Tow Bar Preparation.
PhilHolmes

Post by PhilHolmes »

Thanks Pig, mine is a brink bar, but the harness was an ECS vehicle specific wiring harness.

If Skoda would do it for 50 then I would have no problem just getting them to do it, but they said it would be 300 and I am responsible for 'anything that goes wrong', urghhh
Tamworth-Pig

Post by Tamworth-Pig »

No prob Phil. if you purchased the car new and had a Brink installer fit the bar you should get costs same as I incurred. The installer emmediately came out to my house, it took 5 mins to recode the bar, the chap gave me his card and asked me to tell the Skoda dealer his rates: £25 for me and £50 for the dealer.
Enyaq Iv 60, Velvet Red, 19" Anthracite Wheels, Lounge Interior, Climate Package Basic, Drive Package Basic, Assisted Drive Package Plus, Tow Bar Preparation.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

They're just covering themselves.

A few folks have had the ME3 update run with aftermarket towbars and ended up with a slew of faultcodes afterwards.

The car is restored to factory default settings when the ME3 is installed. This reverts all the modules back to non-towbar config. The car then realises there is unknown device on the bus and gets angry about it. A clued up dealer would ofcourse understand whats going on. But many are clueless and you're now left with a "broken" car.

So i guess in a way its a good thing they've told you ahead of time that theres likely to be issues, so you can deal with them appropriately.

The official skoda towbar kit includes a "licence" which gets added to the official vehicle coding in the dealership computer system. That means everything stays correct whenever they do any recoding. Unfortunately Skoda wont add the licence for aftermarket towbars, which is a bit annoying.

Not speccing the factory towbar is probably my biggest regret from ordering this car. I've still not pulled the trigger on aftermarket one due to this uncertainty and awkwardness that skoda seem to view these aftermarket installs.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post