Charger - Bidirectional - V2G // V2H ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
RichR

Post by RichR »

There is a draft standard for Type 2 CCS V2G/V2H/V2L currently undergoing ratification by the various standard bodies. It's complete enough for all the major European EV manufacturers to be demonstrating it.

Also a bit further ahead is a standard for data transfer of billing details from car to public chargers. I believe ME3.0 includes the basics for this, with the full version coming in ME3.1 later. So on a suitably equipped charger, you just plug in, charge, and drive off and it gets billed to your card/bank automatically. Like happens with Tesla for example. VW group are one of the main authors of this standard, so we should expect it in MEB platform cars once the chargers are modified/replaced.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.

srb209

Post by srb209 »

Hi,

We have a skoda enyaq 80 currently with octopus intelligent and using an ohme home charger - I have been emailed about the software update by skoda, but not heard from the dealer yet. Would this be the update to 3.0? I'm keen for V2H or V2G as it feels like a much cheaper option than solar and can get more out of the investment in an electric car. Octopus' powerloop is in pilot stage and closed to new applications, and the Indra one mentioned is also nissan leaf/chademo only.

I've found from a bit of research that VW has made a bidirectional 22kw wallbox which is is trialling in Germany, but that was almost 2 years ago now, and not seen anything since. Wallbox quasar seems to be leading the way, but I'd rather something faster than 7kw as I am in the process of upgrading supply to 100a 3 phase so could cope with better speeds. Just wondering if anyone is in a similar position and if they have found out from either skoda, charger manufacturers or energy suppliers if there is anything in the pipeline.

I'm not sure what the legality and mechanics are for simply getting a bidrectional and setting up v2h as your own solution - assuming it works with car of course. We are moving to electrify all our heat demand, so it would be great to charge car at night at 7.5p kwh and then rob off of that for heating during day if we're not driving anywhere.

Cheers,
Sam
Goaty

Post by Goaty »

/\ Hi Sam - just a ‘side’ question: are you sure it’s ‘Intelligent Octopus’ that you’re on, or is it ‘Octopus Go’? The reason I ask is Octopus Energy have told me that Skoda are not on their ‘Intelligent Octopus’ scheme (which benefits from 6 hours of off-peak charging instead of 4, as well as starting from 11:30pm instead of 00:30).
Thanks.
iV80 Loft, Black, 21” Betria, 125kW, Climate Plus, Asst Drive Basic. Tethered PodPoint. Ordered May 2021. Delivered Nov 2021. Regrettably returned Jan 2024 (Company car. Changed jobs).
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

srb209 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:02 am I'm not sure what the legality and mechanics are for simply getting a bidrectional and setting up v2h as your own solution
My understanding is that all the pilots are currently based around CHAdeMO since that is the only connector that has certification for bi-directional charging. Apparently CCS Combo certification is in the pipeline. As far as Skoda and VW are concerned, their position in early 2021 was that bidirectional charging would be V2G capable on MEB vehicles in 2022 https://cleantechnica.com/2021/04/06/al ... g-in-2022/

There's a sort of confirmation of the pipeline in this video from a Swiss vlogger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmlKLrpc5swho has access to Skoda. Whereas they appear to be happy with certain information he divulges, as far a V2G is concerned it appears to be "please don't say anything at the momnet"
iV 80 Suite, Arctic Silver plus various packages. ME 3.1
Ordered late Oct 21 for delivery June 2022. Scheduled production now Week 29 (was previously late September). In transit 25 July 22. Delivered as ordered 17 August 22.
oposum

Post by oposum »

But wouldn’t this daily use shorten battery life even more?
HarryHuk

Post by HarryHuk »

Plug in and charge will be cool.

As far as V2G is concerned, I'm happy without, and waiting until cheaper battery tech is available for home use.
60 Loft Graphite Grey ordered late Nov 2021, delivered late June 2022. UK based
Heat pump, 19" wheels,
chrome, transport, sport drive basic, assisted drive basic, parking basic, light and view basic. ME3.0.0 (from factory)
lagus

Post by lagus »

oposum wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:47 pm But wouldn’t this daily use shorten battery life even more?
Yeah, it will, however if you do charge (and discharge) smartly you will shorten it less.
Also, if you (as I will) have a leased car, you can care less about your battery life.

As other people said, using V2H, can get added value from the investment of 80kw mobile batteries that happens to be in your car.
Therefore it seems very smart of Sam to increase the main fuses and also use fast chargers at home, especially if you have hourly changing energy prices.
**Enyaq Black Sportsline 80** - Ordered March 22 - Delivered Jan -23
Nordic - Assisted Drive Plus - Canton Sound System - Convenience Plus - Parking Plus with 360 cam - Electric Towing Hook - Comfort seat basic - Heatpump
ricky10

Post by ricky10 »

this would actually be hugely benefitial for EV drivers. albeit while you have your car at home.

I work from home half of the week but wife is in office most days, I wont benefit as much.

However every little help. would be very interesting to know if Enyaq will have this capability.

i would imagine the inverter needs to be fairly capable. the enyaw can charge at 125kw so there shouldnt be an issue with load capacity. i mean even 50kw is plenty for a home. but more likely discharge rate is around 3-5kw peak
RichR

Post by RichR »

Most houses in the UK have an 80A main fuse (some have higher, some lower) - that means the maximum a house is likely to use is around 18kW. In fact most houses never get near that figure. So V2H generally tops out at around 7kW - or 32A. Yes, you won't run an electric shower, but certainly it'll be fine for washing machine, fridge, freezer, TV, computers etc.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
srb209

Post by srb209 »

Morning,

Sorry -- I didn't get notified of any replies. I am on intelligent yes 2320-0530 @ 7.5 p kw which isn't too bad. Skoda/Ohme have now been added but the app is in beta and onboarding to the tariff took about a month.

We still haven't been called in for an upgrade by our dealer, although I gather they are happening. Skoda garage I talk to also seem to have no idea if it will enable bidirectional or not - and haven't spoken to any other dealerships who have done the install to find out!

Have any of you guys have the software upgrade and know if V2H etc now works if you have the right charger? If it hasn't been included then it would be nice to have an idea of timeline as it is part of my greenify home strategy. Presumably it is coming in the hopefully near future.

Cheers,
Sam

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post