Charger issue or car?

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Enyaq
BERTILON

Post by BERTILON »

I am at a destination charger while on holiday. Car is an Enyaq60 and I've been driving it since September. Apart from the initial learning curve I've not had any issues with any charger, slow, fast or rapid.

Charger that I'm having issues with is an oldish Zappi. The unit faulted when I tried using it with the attached cable immediately it was connected. I've now swapped and trying with my own cable and although the charge now starts when I go back to check the red indicator lamp is on and charging has stopped.

I can't use the Skoda app to check the charge condition because the app has hardly ever worked since getting the car (something that I'm waiting Skoda to resolve)

Any ideas? Car or charger? And any resolutions, save going to the pub to use their charger, which isn't an issue by the way..
Enyaq IV. 60 Nav Suite. Brilliant silver metallic with 19 inch wheels
100 kW charging, essential for longer journeys
Tow bar preparation
Convenience plus
Assisted drive package
Parking package (£505) but not worth the money at this time
Free umbrella

RichR

Post by RichR »

Almost certainly the charger. If the car works on every other type of charger then I think you can rule it out. I recall reading issues with the first generation of Zappis on Mitsubishi Outlanders, which was fixed by a firmware update to the charger. There have been issues with many EVs on chargers that aren't completely dumb, which is surprising really given the standards are pretty clear and been in existence for a long time. Generally it's with chargers that try to alter the charge rate that have problems, because that's not supposed to change after the initial connection according to the standards.

As a resolution until that charger can be fixed, you might have to see where the nearest rapid chargers are - perhaps you can arrange to stop off at one for 15 minutes on the way to visit somewhere, and again on the way back maybe? I would guess that using the Zappi is cheaper (if not free), so yes that would be preferable, but if it's not working then you just have to forget about it. I guess using a granny charger is a possibility, thought never ideal if you need to put in more than about 30% in my opinion. Great to give you enough charge to get to a rapid charger that's on your route though.
Enyaq iV 80 Sportline, Energy Blue, Assisted Drive Plus, Infotainment Plus, Convenience Plus, Comfort Seat Plus, Transport Pack, Heat Pump, ME3.2, Built Nov 2021.
BERTILON

Post by BERTILON »

Thanks for the insight. I've now set changing rate within the car settings to reduced charge rate and so far so good. First time that feature has been used
Enyaq IV. 60 Nav Suite. Brilliant silver metallic with 19 inch wheels
100 kW charging, essential for longer journeys
Tow bar preparation
Convenience plus
Assisted drive package
Parking package (£505) but not worth the money at this time
Free umbrella

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post