Anyone know how battery pre-heating works?

All Skoda Enyaq related discussions
orrery

Post by orrery »

I've got the heat pump fitted on my iV80 and I assume that - somewhere - there is some battery pre-heating going on.

Has anyone seen anything about it? Are there controls, or indications?

... or am I just barking (up the wrong tree)?
iV80 Lounge, Heat Pump, 125kW charging, Tow bar
Previous EVs: Leaf 40 (x2), Leaf 30, Leaf 24. EVing since 2014.

Erakettu

Post by Erakettu »

It does not. Not yet anyway.

It has been promised "later", but nothing definite yet.

Currently the battery is actively heated to around 0-5c to optimize normal operation while driving. When a HPC cable is connected the battery heater activates automatically and uses 5-7kW power for battery heating, until the battery reaches around 20c temperature. The charging current will also heat a bit.

Normal battery discharce (driving) will not sufficiently heat the battery as the power output and therefore energy (heat) loss is small (because car is so efficient). Doing fast accelerations and rapid decelerations with regen braking will generate some additional heat because the power in/outputs are 5 to 10-fold higher. This I can not recommend due to safety issues in traffic and cold/icy conditions.

The best bet to optimize charging performance in my opinion is to deplete the bsttery relatively low, have a short 5-10minute stop at >=50kW charger. This will be enough to heat the battery from 2c to 15-20c, but will not charge the car much. Drive to the next charging location with a HPC >100kW and aim for <10% battery. In my experience the two stops should be less than 1 hour apart to keep the battery sufficiently warm for the actual charging session. This second stop will charge at near full capacity. In case of a long trip, keep stopping at about 2hour intervals to keep the battery warm and chrging speeds high. (Eg. Do not charge more than you need to reach the next stop.)
G_F

Post by G_F »

This seems like madness. Having to "manually" condition the battery during winter to get the correct charge speeds means that the car isn't viable to do long journey's. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but Skoda/VW group need to get this sorted. I even feel pretty conned into buying the £1k optional heat pump!
Skku

Post by Skku »

Apparently the preheating is coming in ME 4.0. The problem is that cars already delivered with ME 2.x or 3.x NEVER will get ME 4.0. So your car will newer get the function to preheat the battery before charging - and therefore always charge slow as #+@&@ when it's cold outside.

Skoda has promised this preheat funktion for two years now. But has now informed us that it's not coming (however the VW ID cars will get it).

I recommend everyone to email Skoda to complain and also contact the company that sold the car to complain and also (if the seller as in my case informed u that this was a comming function) ask for compansation.
Yakin

Post by Yakin »

Typically, these systems are managed automatically by the vehicle's onboard computer. When the car is connected to a charger, it can pre-condition the battery temperature to ensure it operates efficiently. However, these systems are often not directly controllable by the driver.

As for controls or indications, most electric vehicles with battery pre-conditioning do not offer explicit controls for this function through the infotainment system or controls within the car. The vehicle's software will manage this process based on factors like the outside temperature and the battery's current state.
Dav00

Post by Dav00 »

I think there are 3 slightly different topics: temperature management, battery conditioning as part of the charging process and early battery conditioning for faster charging.
Remember that the optimal temperature in drive mode is not necessarily the optimal temperature for fast charging.

On the other EV here the battery conditioning for faster charging can be controlled - to some extent - via the in-car system and via the mobile app.
A) Enable / Disable the feature
B) get the car in actual conditioning mode by setting a charger as a destination or way point.

Control B doesn't mean that you are heating the battery when you send the command, it means that you tell the car to get the battery ready BEFORE you arrive at the charger.
Then the system does all in the background, based on distance and time to charger, to optimise the process and have the battery ready when you arrive at the charger - i.e. before plugging in - without wasting energy in the process. So, it starts the process at the right time.
It may slightly affect the range but make charging much faster, and all the wizardry is done in the background.

For the record, I was told by the dealer about this coming feature for the Enyaq I eventually ordered, and I'm referring to the proper battery conditioning, the early one. It was beginning of 2022. It's almost 2024, it's not there in the car yet and it will probably never be.
Bikeronnie

Post by Bikeronnie »

From another angle (of a non heat pump car) how much difference does pre heating the battery make? Personally I just rock up to a charger, plug it in and wait! Most of the time I'm no longer than 45 mins (charger dependant) unless it's making it charge in half the time I don't see pre heating that useful to me! If every minute counts to you then fair enough or does the pre heating serve another purpose other than quicker charging?
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I think its a specific set of conditions that causes the biggest problems.

If you start with a full battery, drive for 2hours on a motorway, then stop and charge, its very likely the battery will be warm enough from the drive that your charge will proceed at a decent rate.

The problems come when you run the battery down, park up overnight or for 8 hours at work or whatever, then goto the rapid with a battery thats fully chilled, then it'll charge very slowly until its warmed up.
'21 Enyaq 60 Ecosuite
Dav00

Post by Dav00 »

Bikeronnie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:31 am From another angle (of a non heat pump car) how much difference does pre heating the battery make? Personally I just rock up to a charger, plug it in and wait! Most of the time I'm no longer than 45 mins (charger dependant) unless it's making it charge in half the time I don't see pre heating that useful to me! If every minute counts to you then fair enough or does the pre heating serve another purpose other than quicker charging?
Hard to say for a Enyaq without some modelling but, just to give an idea, I have just read a few comments regarding recent updates improving Ioniq 5 and by extension Kia EV6 and 9, Genesis 60 and 70. At not-very low temperature, battery conditioning disabled or not triggered = almost 2 * charging time of a 10-80% DC charge.

Also, beyond the individual experience, I suppose that car makers mass-enabling this feature make the whole fast charging infrastructure and service much more efficient in Winter.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post